starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RJ's training and occasional swimming log

Default RJ's training and occasional swimming log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hopping back on board the LP train. Had a lot of unrecorded workouts and got to a three plate squat (yeah, I know, *so strong*) before my training went to shit due to work commitments. Since my old log hasn't been updated in 5-ever, decided to just start a new one here.

Currently doing LP as described in SS 3rd ed except for:

1) Have been doing chins on off days. This might change if I have more time in the mornings when I normally work out / can make myself more efficient. I normally train with a friend, and we spend probably too much time goofing off.

2) Have been adding swimming, since I'm trying to become a decent swimmer. This might be interfering with progress, though, so I'm going to spend the next couple weeks calibrating things.

Have been tracking macros for the past month, and getting P/C/F/Fi = 220 / 325 / 90 / 35. This is the P and F level that Jordan recommends in TBAB for strength gain, but distinctly under carbs. But, it was just what I ate the day I started tracking, so I stuck with it. At around this level, I seem to be losing both weight and strength, although the baseline isn't that long, and, furthermore, for the last part of August / first week of September I was on vacation and not tracking carefully. On net I've lost ~5 lbs (213 -- fucking beer weight -- -> 209) since mid August. If I lose yet another lb on my weigh-in on Tues, will probably up the carbs by 40 grams to see what happens, since I don't really want to lose any more strength.

Workout goals in the short term (a couple -> few months) are

1) obvious 1/2/3/4 plate P/BP/S/D for work sets, which seems pretty doable
    2) a 185 power clean would do nicely as well, again for work sets. this might be trickier since I. suck. at. powercleans.
    3) multiple sets of 10 chinups at bw (also very doable).

Posts about my students, both rants and raves, as well as other things unrelated to training will appear here from time to time.

Welcome! Always good to see another Illinois boy posting a log. I like your description of your eclectic approach to your posts here. FWIW, I share your suckage of power cleans too. Although I am confident that I can get to 185 like you want to.

Default cleaning out the cobwebs

Saturday, September 24, 2016
    -----------------------------------

S: 245x5x3. Easy. Bar slowed down a little, but that's it. Plate rattling is a good sound.
    OP: 125x4x2, 3. LOL God, solid showing for the first log entry. Although last week I did 125x3x3, so this is progress, I guess.
    DL: 275x5. Easy.
    Last edited by rjharris; 09-25-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: date was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Welcome! Always good to see another Illinois boy posting a log. I like your description of your eclectic approach to your posts here. FWIW, I share your suckage of power cleans too. Although I am confident that I can get to 185 like you want to.
    Thanks, Mark. I'm not really an Illinois boy, since I'm originally from Western Kentucky, but I guess home is where you hang your hat, so there we go.

I'm going to be glad when real fall comes and it's not almost 90 degrees in late September. I'm loathe to use A/C, and the home gym gets plenty hot.

Quote Originally Posted by rjharris View Post
    I'm going to be glad when real fall comes and it's not almost 90 degrees in late September. I'm loathe to use A/C, and the home gym gets plenty hot.
    Can I get a witness for that! But it's supposed to cool down in the coming week. I love being home, but the weather this year sucks.

Sunday, September 25, 2016
    ---------------------------------

low volume chins BW x 5, BW + 10 x 5,5,3,2
    Plan is to alternate BW with weighted and we'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Can I get a witness for that! But it's supposed to cool down in the coming week. I love being home, but the weather this year sucks.
    It was actually shockingly pleasant up here for a few days a couple weeks ago, then BAM humid hell-scape.

If you think this has been bad, I hope after years in CA you're ready for winter...

Monday, September 26, 2016

S:255x5x3. easy.
    BP: 165x5x3. same.
    PC: 125x3x5. fine. I think there's some arm pull that I need to get rid of.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Was going to do volume chins, but didn't have a whole lot of time as I woke up later than normal. Decided to redo weighted chins from Sunday

Chins: BWx5, BW+10 x5x3. Last one was a grinder, but I got it.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016
    -------------------------------------

S: 265x5x3. Easy
    OP: 125x4x2,3 Well, fuck. I think I'm messing up the timing of the hips. The weight loss probably hasn't helped. Need to video.

Ran out of time for DL, will do that this afternoon / evening.

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't end up doing DLs yesterday because I was at work late and exhausted when I came home.

Thursday, September 29, 2016
    -----------------------------------

BW: 210.1

Lost count on my first set of chins. I *think* it was 9, which is slightly unexpected since I was sucking at chins last week.
    Not sure these are comparable to before because I definitely used the stretch reflex at the bottom this time, which is something I hadn't been doing.

Volume chins (to >= 30): BWx9,8,6,5,5 (to 33)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast