starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mrs is Starting To Notice The Gains Log

Post The Mrs is Starting To Notice The Gains Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, SS Community! I'm excited to start logging my progress and hopefully get some feedback from all you experienced lifters.

My BIO:
    Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 169lb

I had some experience with lifting when was in High School during football and then through my twenties, but struggled with back issues and my weight as I got into my 30s. I started to do a lot of cycling and lost a lot of weight and became competitive with endurance sports. I thought I was very fit and swore that I would never set foot in a gym again! Even though I was lean and could ride for days I looked like your typical cyclist with decent quads but my upper body looked weak and pathetic... In fact while training for a big race, thinking I was at peak fitness, my wife made a comment about how I looked sick and just returned from Naked and Afraid...

That was a couple of years ago and I have started to burn out on cycling. My kids are getting older and I have decided I would rather spend most my free time with them, than on my bike. Wanting to stay fit and hoping to build some strength and muscle I made my way to a gym. I've been lifting consistently for about 6 months now and made some progress, but I have always wanted to be strong at and learn how to properly squat, deadlift, and power clean. I've never really been into the whole body building thing...

I recently found Mark Rippetoe's book and have been following the SS program for a few weeks now. Below is my progress so far...

September 27 2016:
    Squat: 225lb (3x5), Press: 100lb (3x5), Deadlift: 225lb (1x5)

September 29 2016:
    Squat: 235lb (3x5), Bench: 185lb (3x5), PClean: 95lb (5x3)

October 1 2016:
    Squat: 245lb (3x5), Press: 105lb (3x5), Deadlift: 235lb (1x5)

October 3 2016:
    Squat: 255lb (3x5), Bench: 190lb (3x5,4,3), PClean: 105lb (5x3)

October 5 2016:
    Squat: 255lb (3x5), Press: 110lb (3x5), Deadlift: 245lb (1x5)

October 7 2016:
    Squat: 260lb (3x5), Bench: 185lb (3x5), PClean: 115lb (5x3)

October 10 2016:
    Squat: 265lb (3x5), Press: 115lb (3x5), Deadlift: 255lb (1x5), Chinup: 0lb (12,12,11)

October 12 2016:
    Squat: 265lb (3x5), Bench: 185lb (3x5), PClean: 135lb (5x3)
    I coach my son's football team, and while demonstrating a drill a few weeks ago, hurt my back and felt like I pulled my groin muscle(forgot that I am old)... It finally caught up to me today and it felt like both my adductor muscles pulled during my squat.

October 14 2016:
    Squat: 225lb (3x5), Press: 120lb (3x5), Deadlift: 245lb (1x5), Chinup: 0lb (12,12,12)
    Decided to go light on my squat with my injured adductors. Also starting to incorporate the foam roller and some mobility before I squat, and it seems to help. still a little sore though.

October 17 2016:
    Squat: 235lb (3x5), Bench: 185lb (3x5), PClean: 145lb (5x3)
    Still sore in the groin area while squatting but felt okay. Better to not go too heavy.

I'm a little worried about my Adductor issues as it's been lingering for a while now... Wondering if it's better to completely stop squatting until it heals or if it's okay to just use lighter weight? Would love anyone's feedback on that if you have dealt with something similar...

Hate to stop now because I'm excited about my progress. My wife is noticing my gains as well(hence the title)... She's even getting a little more handsy lately!

Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm excited to be a part of the community!

Jon

Weight: 170lb
    Squat: 240lb (3x5)
    Press: 125lb (3x5,5,4)
    Deadlift: 250lb (1x5)
    Chinup: 0lb (3x12)

Still a little sore since pulling both groin muscles (or whatever it is)... Been religious about doing the foam role and mobility stretches. They seem to be helping as I'm not sore after my workout.

Weight:170lb
    Squat: 245lb (3x5)
    Bench: 190lb (3x5)
    PClean: 155lb (5x3)

Might need to take some time off squatting to let my groin issue heal up... I'll see how I feel after the weekend. Happy about getting 190lb on the bench finally though! Had someone there to spot, and that helped with my confidence...

Weight: 170lb
    Squat: 250lb (3x5)
    Press: 125lb (3x4,5,4)
    Deadlift: 255lb (1x5)
    Chin up: 0lb (3x12,12,13)

Felt pretty good on the squat, it was moving fast today (just a little bit of a pinch in the hips and groin).

Could only get 4 on my first set of press for some reason... I think it was a mental thing because I was able to get 5 on the next.

Need to get one of those belts to add some weight on the chin ups, so I added a rep on my last set.

Been doing the foam roller and mobility stretches and i'm starting to feel more flexible and comfortable while lifting, especially in the squat.

Welcome. You seem to not be gaining much weight. Are you eating enough calories and protein each day? What is you caloric intake? Keep up the good work. You my wish to put a video on the technique section. Have you visited with a certified SS coach yet?

Thanks! Yeah, I don't think I have been eating enough. I'm so used to eating like an endurance athlete and trying to stay light and lean... Even 170lb feels heavy for me. I have new goals now though and really want to get strong, so I guess I have to get used to gaining weight. I track my calories once in a while but need to be better, and I'm not sure I can do the gallon of milk a day though...

I have not posted a video or visited with a SS coach yet. I'd like to do both, as I'm really motivated to do this right!

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJonnyUtah View Post
    I track my calories once in a while but need to be better, and I'm not sure I can do the gallon of milk a day though...
    The gallon of milk a day is primarily aimed at lifters (quite a bit) under 40 ... us older guys need a more nuanced approach. Jordan Feigenbaum's "To be a beast" article is a good starting point. In his nutrition sub-forum there is also plenty of good info on the right kind of macros to shoot for.

Great, thank you! I will definitely read this today.

Weight: 171.5
    Squat: 255lb (3x5)
    Bench Press: 195lb (3x4,4,4)
    Pclean: 165lb (5x3,2,3,3,3)

Had an off day today. Gym was way too busy, was waiting for squat racks, barbells all day. Left groin was hurting during the squat. Felt it on the first set but kept going like a stubborn idiot... I think I may need to take some time to heal up as it's not getting any better. I've got a bad attitude today... BOOO!

starting strength coach development program
    Where is the nearest certified SS coach to you? Find out and go have a consultation with him or her. If the coach lives within 1000 miles it will well be worth the visit.

Think of it this way: A lifter came to Greysteel near Detroit from Saskatchewan, Canada which is 1800 miles away to attend a Squat camp.

Go get some coaching from a SS coach.
    Last edited by carson; 10-26-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast