starting strength gym

Thread: Question regarding training volume

Default Question regarding training volume

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know we can train a muscle 1x per week & give it all its work sets in 1 session eg "chest day" or "back day", or we can spread the work sets out as in an upper/lower or a 3 day total body routine..etc

But routine set up aside, may I ask you Mark what do you view as high, moderate & low set volume for a bodypart per week?

I dont mean sets per a particular exercise, or total sets performed in a workout but I mean total work sets for a particular bodypart including all exercises for that muscle per week eg:

4 sets bench press
    4 sets chest dips
    4 sets incline flyes

= a total of 12 total work sets for chest.

Here are my thoughts. The sets Iv suggested are direct work sets per bodypart, per week, depending on goal.

Strength, 2-6 sets. Strength/Hypertrpohy, 3-9 sets. Hypertrophy, 6-16 sets.

I would be real curious on your thoughts on the above Mark?
    Thx!

It all depends. The sets have to have the number of reps specified, because that's what adds up to volume. But these matters are dealt with in detail in PPST.

Yer, I am seriously considering getting my own copy of programming for strength training, Iv read the excerts from the site & its wetted my appitite!

Meantime Mark am I correct in my thinking that the heavier the weight or the closer to our 1RM for strength that in general the a lower volume of set/reps be used eg 5x5, 3x5, 3x3 etc. And that when training lighter around 70% 1RM for example typical bodybuilding hypertrophy training or RE work then set/rep volume would be higher eg 3x12, 4x8-10 etc?

Is this a decent basic understanding? Thx!

May I ask your opinion Mark or Kyle of Chad Waterburys recommendation of a total of 24-50 reps per muscle group 2-4 times per week for optimal strength and hypertrophy? Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by britlifter View Post
    May I ask your opinion Mark or Kyle of Chad Waterburys recommendation of a total of 24-50 reps per muscle group 2-4 times per week for optimal strength and hypertrophy? Thx!
    I'm neither of those guys, but from all the anecdotes of lifters and backed up by research, 20-60 reps per part, per session, with a frequency of 2-3 times per week seems to be about the right zone, at least to base a starting point.

Your real-life results, as always, may vary.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    I'm neither of those guys, but from all the anecdotes of lifters and backed up by research, 20-60 reps per part, per session, with a frequency of 2-3 times per week seems to be about the right zone, at least to base a starting point.

Your real-life results, as always, may vary.
    Agreed, I personaly wouldnt train a bodypart more than 2 or 3 time a week and 20-60 reps per bodypart seems decent. Thx!