starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Wild Crossfitter Appears!

Post A Wild Crossfitter Appears!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello All, I recently competed in the Fall Classic and met a bunch of the guys, and kept hearing of this magical "forum," figured I would give it a look and try it out.

Stats:
    Age-29
    Sex-M
    Weight-280 lbs
    Height- 5'11

Lifts:
    Squat-635
    Bench press-?
    Deadlift-639
    Press-215
    Power clean-300
    Snatch-250
    C&J-315

Bio:
    Football player, defensive lineman in high school and a short stint in college (Valpo, class of 10'). Aspirations of a career in law enforcement, so started running post grad to lose weight. Did a Tough Mudder/some OCR's here and there, but transitioned from that into Crossfit (boooooo, I know). Entertained ideas of being competitive in it, but lacked an engine and could never get over my first love of heavy lifting, so currently trying to do some absurd hybrid of both.

Diet:
    Was not pleased to see such a high weight at the Fall Classic, so going to start counting macros and working with a nutritionist friend to gameplan how to get to a lighter weight but not sacrifice strength.

Major Goals and Concerns:
    Ideally hit 650 for Squat and Deadlift, but at a lighter weight. I'd love to be ~250-260lbs, something where I can cut to 242 easily. Also, I consider myself having a general weakness in anything press.

I still need to work somewhat on cardio and endurance, as I am doing some testing at police departments for jobs, and the Illinois test requires a 1.5 mile run in under 14 minutes, which at my current size is not feasible.

I'm open to suggestions as to training methods, and what you have found that works best.

Here's my best attempts from Saturday, much gratitude to Manveer and his wife for getting these recorded for me, as well as the rest of the competitors there for being awesome.

Welcome to the forums. Your lifts on Saturday were very impressive, especially the ease with which you pulled all your deads.

Glad to have you here, John. I'll be following along.

Quote Originally Posted by John Laurel View Post
    A Wild Crossfitter Appears!
    Bench press-?
    Seems about right. Nice lifting anyway.

Holy shit, nice lifting. Welcome aboard, I'll follow along

Nice to see you on the forum! You can always post a question on the programming subforum for some help there. Be wary of wandering into Ends & Pieces - it's a weird place right now.

Welcome to the forum! Great to meet you on saturday and see you put up some awesome lifts.

John, what's your training history? What programming have you done? I have a suspicion that a good hard TM run might be just the thing. You don't look like you are near your potential. What have you done for bench press and press?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    John, what's your training history? What programming have you done? I have a suspicion that a good hard TM run might be just the thing. You don't look like you are near your potential. What have you done for bench press and press?
    Karl, not much in terms of fully structured strength training. Early on was some offshoots of 5/3/1 type strength training I would find online, along with the usual bodybuilding type splits. More recently I've been dabbling with Cal Strength's Barbell Wod to help with my Oly lifting. Currently I've just been following my gym's programming which is just linear progression before WODs.

In regards to my pressing, I haven't done as much as I should. I'd love to get eyes on my bench because I haven't quite gotten that down and consider it a pretty big weakness. I'm stuck in the lower-mid 300's. My mobility isn't great, my back gets real tight when I try to arch it on the bench. I get some work on overhead movements, but a lot of the focus at my gym is on the oly moves like push and split jerks.

After Saturday I'd love to get onto something more structured, time-wise I can dedicate 2-3 hours a day at the gym and trying to get a key so I can do more (no wife or kids), so my ideal would be 3-4 days of strength programming before jumping in with a class afterwards for my conditioning.

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome to see you on the forums, John!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast