starting strength gym

Thread: Glad I found SS, Here's to change!

Default Glad I found SS, Here's to change!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So story is I've been lifting for the last 4-5 years but never properly. Would jump from program to program and for the most part was doing a bro-split, training nearly every day always in isolation. Convinced squats and deadlifts were optional and in love with bench pressing and upper body in general although I had no understanding of progressive overload. Found SS almost a year ago but didn't give it a chance. Wanted to buy the book but couldn't afford it with amazon selling it for up to $100 cad. Bought the kindle edition and read it almost entirely twice already and always learning or remembering things that help. Did a form check and going to continue doing form checks until I'm satisfied with my form. I've been training for about 3 weeks now give or take, I recently purchased the official app and will post my starting log and my current log and keep updating the thread as I go on.
    I recently turned 19, and despite having trained for a while albeit incorrectly I am seeing great progression and hopefully means I still have quite a lot of beginner/noob gains in me.
    height: 5'9
    started october 21st 2016
    164 lbs

squat: 65 lbs
    deadlift: 135 lbs
    benchpress: 135 lbs
    press: 65 lbs

squats - had no idea where to start and I did not feel comfortable being in a low bar position so did high bar squats. Felt easy enough but movement felt awkward and depth was questionable

deadlift - started with 135 lbs so I did not have to make up for the height difference the other plates would have made probably a bad idea... used hex plates probably another bad idea... bar slipped on my last reps, need to focus on grip strengthening accessory exercises.

benchpress - had built it up over the years, 135 lbs felt about right as a starting point, maybe a bit too easy.
    press - had done it very very few times in the past but always fairly strict. was able to squeeze out the last few reps at 65 lbs.

currently:
    November 9th
    170 lbs

squat: 175lbs
    deadlift: 205lbs
    benchpress: 165 lbs
    press: 90lbs

squat: doing lowbar, more comfortable with the movement. need to focus more on the hip drive aspect of it. felt pretty good but last rep or so was very difficult to get up.
    deadlift: much better form, went up pretty easily. grip has strengthened a lot. was able to hold 4 reps at 205 easily before it began to slip out but was able to quickly reset and finish strong without really letting go of the bar.
    benchpress: was fairly easy although reps became progressively slower, was able to do all 3 sets of 5 without much problem and despite having a spotter I did not need his help on any rep except for the lift off which on this particular bench almost forced me out of position every time i tried it. j hooks were only on two settings, far too low or a bit too high will try a different bench next time.
    press: next week but last time did 90lbs fairly easy hope to be able to do 95lbs next workout.

I'm already seeing progress and loving it. Need to eat better, as a student groceries is quite the expense and can't say i've been eating that clean lately but hitting more than 3k calories has been rather difficult. going to try hitting 4k to see more progress if needed but so far the gains have been coming in and lifts are steadily increasing across the board.

Welcome. It's good to start as a young man. I'm glad that you are now able to do lowbar squat. Keep up the good work.