starting strength gym

Thread: butt rising faster than the shoulders

Default butt rising faster than the shoulders

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On page 23 of the Starting Strength book, you said

If the correct hip drive is being used, the butt will actually rise a little faster than the shoulders, possibly making the back angle decrease relative to the floor. This is fine at this stage and can be easily corrected later.
    I'm having this problem right now, my hips rise and my shoulder is not catching up, which cause me to GM the weight up. How do you usually correct this problem, Mark? Thanks!

If it's this exaggerated (and it may not be), you need to think about it the other way for a while. Actually raise your chest first until the movement comes back into balance. Obviously lower the weight to something that can be handled correctly and work it back up.

So on the hip drive, how much should the rear rise before the shoulder follow? The idea I got from SS was that the hips initiated the movement, briefly decreasing back angle, and then the shoulders followed, correcting the angle.

This is how I've always squatted.

That's fine. Just don't let your back angle change significantly as you initiate the hip drive.