starting strength gym

Thread: Bolt's Log

Default Bolt's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all! I'm starting this log 5 weeks after the start of my SS journey. I've never considered myself especially strong; endurance sports have generally been my forte. Many years ago (at least 15 I think!?!) I trained the Olympic lifts with John Janecek of the SS message boards but eventually drifted towards other interests (primarily raising our daughter while my wife completed her pediatric residency). In my late 30s I dabbled in triathlon and later just running where I achieved a sub 5' mile in a certified road race. Various chronic lower limb injuries led me to ditch running for spin classes, erg rowing, and general gym-goer dicking around weight training which put on about 10lbs of bodyweight. In an effort to improve my rowing strength I started dabbling in basic barbell weight training which led me to SS. Using MyFitnessPal, I've religiously logged my bodyweight and everything I've eaten for a little over 600 straight days. I'm intimately aware of how my body responds to most aspects of my food intake. Hopefully I can apply this to gaining body weight!

Height: 6'1"

The following are details of my progress to date (lifts are lbs x reps x sets):

Start of Program: 10/15/2016
    BW: 175
    Squat: 165x5x3
    Bench: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 215x5x1
    Press: 75x5x3

As of 11/18/2016
    BW: 180
    Squat: 275x5x3
    Bench: 170x5x3
    Deadlift: 315x5x1
    Press: 130x5x3
    Clean: 165x3x5
    Last edited by Bolt; 11-18-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Good to see you stranger, welcome back to the iron!!

Great to hear from you and your progress looks great!

Keep running the numbers up and don't overthink it, your on track!!
    Last edited by John Janecek; 11-18-2016 at 10:38 AM.

BW: 181
    Squat: 280x5x3
    Bench: 172.5x5x2 + 4x1 (failed on rep 5)
    Deadlift: 320x5x1

Notes:
    1) Glad I decided to use a 5lb increase on deadlift. Love the grind!
    2) Bummed about missing the 5th rep on the third set of bench. Will try this weight again and I'm fairly certain it will go up next time.
    3) Squat feels like I've got plenty of room to run. Gym bro complimented my depth and form. Is that good or bad?

Welcome. Who can tell if it's good or bad? Why not post a video on Technique or go see a certified SS Coach?

Carson, thanks for the advice but I think you may have taken that line in my post the wrong way. It was a rhetorical question. Gym bros around here aren't known for their squatting.

I rather assumed that. Bros are the same all over. Still, if you have a question why not offer a video or go see a certified SS coach?

Thanks again for the input. My comment about good or bad was in jest. I've no questions or concerns regarding my squat form at the moment.

starting strength coach development program
    BW: 182
    Squat: 285x5x3
    Press: 132.5x5x3
    Clean: 170x3x5

Notes:
    1) Squat and press went up with only a minor bit of grind on last rep of 3rd set. My personal mantra "up" gets it to lock out every time.
    2) Cleans finished off the workout and every last bit of energy in my tank.
    3) With workouts becoming as long as 90', I'm gonna need to start bringing food along to keep my fire stoked.
    4) Avg daily caloric intake for past 7 days is 3700. That's up from the prior 7 day avg of 3500.

Thanks for reading!