starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Elderly Dude on Novice Program

Default Another Elderly Dude on Novice Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age 51 (bday April 1965); 6'2"; 225lbs

Logging seems to motivate me, so here goes.

Chose the Original Novice program (?version 1) because I found a spreadsheet for it and printed it out with copious notes and posted it near my weights. I figured any version was good at this point in my life. Bought the iphone SS app, but it can't seem to be coerced to fit the template I'm using: won't let me swap the bench and press between workout A & B (shame on me for buying an app), but found the SS v1 template on the free Strongur App that works perfect.

Session #1 Nov 17th
    Squat 3x5 x85
    Bench 3x5 x65
    Deadlift 1x5 x135

Session #2 Nov 19th
    Squat 3x5 x90
    Press 3x5 x45
    Power Clean 5x3 x45

Session #3 Nov 21st
    Squat 3x5 x95
    Bench 3x5 x70
    Deadlift 1x5 x145

Session #4 Nov 23rd
    Squat 3x5 x100
    Press 3x5 x50
    Power Clean 3x3 x55
    Power Snatch 2x3 x55
    I'm seeing a confusing amount of data whether or not a 50+ year old should be doing Cleans, or possibly snatches, or maybe substitute in dynamic reps of the other lifts instead (I've been watching a lot of RIP's/Andy's/Sully's videos since I restarted lifting. I had some Oly coaching 7 years ago and loved the Snatch, so figured I'd mix up the Snatch and Clean in this workout and going forward as long as it doesn't bother anything (e.g. shoulders/lower back). (unless someone can give me a convincing reason not to do this).

I know I have some challenges right off the bat because I have a couple of out of town business trips before the end of the year.... so I'll find some way to punt. Likely with my "weights lifted" this light I can still use the hotel dumbbells for now.

Welcome, young man. I'm nearly seventy so I guess I can call you young. Never give up. When we travel for more than a couple of days I look for a decent gym and use it for a day. There aren't many around but, e.g., Gold's Gym in Orlando has at least one platform which allows me to deadlift. They are loaded with machines but they also have a few racks and benches. I also know one in the Western Suburbs of Chicago that's quite good.

As far as the Oly lifts. I tried them a couple of times but wound up passing out. That ended that. However, there a several in our little gym who do them and a couple who are about as old as I am. If you can do them without difficulty then do them. Someday you may not be able to do so. Hence, enjoy them now.

I am very motivated/inspired by those that blaze the trail ahead of me. If you are doing this at almost 70, I have no excuses.

I go to Houston several times a year and I see that there is an SS gym about 25 miles away from where I work there. I'll have to see if it's worth fighting through the hellacious traffic to get to Kingwood S&C. Otherwise, I'll search for some barbells close by.

Thanks for the welcome carson!

Session #5 Nov 25th
    Squat 3x5 x105
    Bench 3x5 x75
    Deadlift 1x5 x155

There are multiple reasons why seeing a coach at the very least on occasion. He/she can correct any early form errors without too much trouble. This can keep you from getting discouraged or even from hurting yourself. Moreover, by doing the lifts under the watchful eye of a coach you will advance more quickly. Besides it's good to have someone yelling at us when our bodies balk. I began nearly four years ago at the age of 66. I've had no serious injury during that time. I can lift more weight in the dl than anyone else I know who is my age. I've read about a few but I've never met anyone who can. At almost 70 (my next birthday in Feb.) I lift 340 and hope to lift 355 by the end of the year.

Welcome wb.

Carson's spot on regarding coaching.

Go get 'em...

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    At almost 70 (my next birthday in Feb.) I lift 340 and hope to lift 355 by the end of the year.
    That's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Welcome
    Thank you sir.

51, 6'2", 227.5lbs

Session #6 Nov 27th
    Squat 3x5 x110
    Press 3x5 x55
    Power Clean 3x3 x55
    Power Snatch 2x3 x55

I intentionally started this progression on the light side, so I'm surprised at how much the rigor mortis sets in a few hours after the workout. Maybe it's the Cleans and Snatches that zap me.
    Last edited by wb416; 11-27-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: session date incorrect

starting strength coach development program
    I'm traveling out of town this week, so found a barbell gym a few blocks from the hotel. I was coerced to go to dinner with coworkers, so I got my dinner to-go and ate after my workout. Fortunately the gym is open until 11:00 pm.

Session #7 Nov 29th

Squat 3x5 x115
    Bench 3x5 x80
    Deadlift 1x5 x165

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast