starting strength gym

Thread: Squating 3x per week for everybody?

Default Squating 3x per week for everybody?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would like to ask, Mark is it your opinion that everybody has the CNS and the workload capacity to be able to squat 3x per week? Or would you say that for some lifters this is not optimal and may need less?

Thx!

As usual, it depends. And usually, it depends on your level of training advancement. Novice lifters can squat 3x/week easily since they have not yet exhausted their ability to easily adapt to that load. Advanced or masters lifters may only be able to squat one every two weeks.

Thx Mark for your reply
    May I follow up.... It has been my understanding that beginners can usually hit a bodyprt or movement more regularly than an advanced lifter due to the fact that they cannot generate as much intensity or inflict as much "damage" to a bodypart as an advanced lifter can, hence the need as you say for an advanced lifter to allow more recovery time between the same bodyparts or movements.

My confusion though Mark is this, Iv also read that work capacity is something that a lifter needs time to bring up and that work capacity improves as a lifter progresses. This to me (with my current knowledge and understanding) seems to contradict my first paragraph, hinting that as a lifter prgresses over time, more work can be done or tolerated.

So, I wondered what the factors are that determines whether a lifter can handle more frequency on the same movement or less as he progresses? If any!?

Thx for your time

Lon Kilgore and I, along with valuable input from Glenn Pendlay, wrote a 275-page book that tells you all about this. It's called Practical Programming for Strength Training, and it's available from Amazon or our website, to which a link is posted below. Most of the questions you have asked on this board are discussed at great length in the book. It might be useful for you to read it.

I most likely will there's only so much you can learn online did you mention there's a 2nd edition somewhere on the site Mark or was that for the other book? Thx