starting strength gym

Thread: 48 y/o Novice Female Raising Young Kids-Must Get Strong!!

Default 48 y/o Novice Female Raising Young Kids-Must Get Strong!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Having a 2nd set of kids later in life started me on a get healthy journey a little over a year ago! I do not want my kids to have to take care of me when they are going to college, starting careers and raising families!

I started in October 2015 with a trainer doing a traditional weightlifting program! S-Legs, M-Chest/Tri, Tu-Back/Bi, W-Cardio, Th-Legs, F-Shoulders, Sa-Rest
    It was great for a while my body was responding well with muscle mass. I would eat 6 small meals a day and Protein/CC and 2 fats a day. After about a year of this, with several injuries and other trainers approaching saying some of heavy lifts I was doing did not have good form and were not safe I started watching others and researching, researching, researching! I happened upon Westminster Strength & Conditioning FB Page. Followed them for a while and read everything but still didn't understand what "Starting Strength Gym" meant, just thought it was the name of their gym. They posted an article one day that led me to Starting Strength webpage and I started researching and reading everything on there. I started the program a month ago along with counting macros. Here is where I am so far:

Squat Started @ 95lbs Current @ 120lbs
    Bench Started @ 45lbs Current @ 70lbs
    Press Started @ 45lbs Current @ 55lbs
    Deadlift Started @ 115lbs Current @ 135lbs
    Clean-Just started working on those @ 45lbs

I still have some body fat percentage to lose but I am not concerned with that near as much as gaining strength. In a month, I have noticed some great new muscle tone in my shoulders, quads, glutes and hams! (Much faster then the traditional program I was doing). I had never done presses with a barbell before-those are hard and progress seems slower but it is progress. Love squats and bench press! Deadlifts not so much, but had 2 previous back injuries from those (trained incorrectly).

I am loving the 3 days a week and rest time. Monday's are better because I know I don't have to be at the gym every single day to see results. No SSC in my area but I look forward to traveling to one to do a session or joining the online training soon!!

Intriguing log. Welcome, I'll try to follow your progress.

Welcome.

Good work so far, invest in some microplates if you plan to run this out. Kudos on learning cleans at your age, not something a lot of people do. Good luck!