starting strength gym

Thread: Online Training: Good or Bad?

Default Online Training: Good or Bad?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Just for curiosity's sake and as part of an on-going informal survey of mine, if you were given the opportunity to train/coach people across the internet, would you do so?

Why or why not?

There's an abundance of people that seem to think this is an effective way to do things; I mostly thinks it's garbage and a way to con people out of money, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

Sentinel is offline Can't bench 225, but knows more than you.

why would it be a way to con people out of their money?

I have been invited to do it by folks you would know, and have declined. I don't see how anyone can effectively coach someone without standing there, watching, giving feedback to what is seen each rep, making decisions about sets and reps based on the previous sets, correcting errors as they occur, asking direct questions and getting answers, changing things up as necessary, making suggestions about the next workout -- you know, coaching.

I know that good money is made this way, but I don't want any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    why would it be a way to con people out of their money?
    Becuase you are paying somebody to be a coach, yet the person is ultimatley a glorified program designer.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    There's an abundance of people that seem to think this is an effective way to do things; I mostly thinks it's garbage and a way to con people out of money, but I'm interested in your thoughts.
    I think you need to define "effective".

I've been fortunate enough to receive personalized instruction from a pretty good S&C coach for the past three years. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm light years ahead of where I would have been without the coaching.

Stop and think a minute about all the novices in gyms. Most of them are getting their "training" from local gym rats who know little or nothing about proper training. Worse yet, many of them are paying "trainers" who know little more than the gym rats. These same novices are posting "critique my routine" threads over at bb.com based on information they've read on line. Even the best of the self designed routines are pretty poor.

I would think that on-line training with a good coach would be a better alternative for most of these guys. Would you rather learn your squat form in person from a local gym rat or by phone reviewing a video with Mark Rippetoe? If those are your two choices, I'd say that on-line training is "effective" by comparison.

Personally, I'd gladly hire Mark Rippetoe for on-line training. No, I wouldn't hire Latrell (a well known on-line "trainer" at bb.com). In my opinion, on-line training is only a con game when the "trainer" isn't qualified.

Just giving an opinion from the layman's point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have been invited to do it by folks you would know, and have declined. I don't see how anyone can effectively coach someone without standing there, watching, giving feedback to what is seen each rep, making decisions about sets and reps based on the previous sets, correcting errors as they occur, asking direct questions and getting answers, changing things up as necessary, making suggestions about the next workout -- you know, coaching.

I know that good money is made this way, but I don't want any of it.
    With that said. If someone was to travel to you, and want to spend a week being coached, is that something you do or would consider doing?

I was always curious about that, I even went so far as to look at tourist info in the Wichita Falls area to convince my wife and kids that it would be the perfect vacation spot.

I would consider doing it that way, or you could attend one of our Basic Barbell certs in what would be a more scenic location. If you can convince your wife that the Falls is a tourist destination and then continue to stay married to her afterward, you should consider a career as an elected official, because you'd have what it takes.

Sentinel is offline Can't bench 225, but knows more than you.

Quote Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post
    Becuase you are paying somebody to be a coach, yet the person is ultimatley a glorified program designer.
    but if u claimed to only be a program designer (glorified) is it still unethical?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I would consider doing it that way, or you could attend one of our Basic Barbell certs in what would be a more scenic location. If you can convince your wife that the Falls is a tourist destination and then continue to stay married to her afterward, you should consider a career as an elected official, because you'd have what it takes.
    Is there a way to get more information on the Basic Barbell certs? Good lord'a'willing I'll be back in the states next year. Reasonable possibility to be stationed @ Falls\Abiline\San Antonio. I figure a learning environment w\ people that are good would be time\money well spent, the wife can kiss my ass

starting strength coach development program
    If you claimed to be a program designer only, then you have fully disclosed the nature of your services, and the buyer can better decide what to do with his money than anyone else. After all, if you're not free to waste money, you're not truly free.

But it is unethical to abbreviate "you".

The Basic Barbell certs are heavily excerpted on the CrossFit website, twice within the past two weeks with fairly long video clips.