starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adas75 Rippetoe Journal

Default Adas75 Rippetoe Journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi just stared out on the Rippetoe Program after picking it up on BodyBuilding.com (have just ordered the book).

I've started out with a bit of confusion already. I started doing rows instead of Power Cleans (as recomended on BodyBuilding.com) but have just read this thread in the Mark Rippetoe section here:

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=223

So I'm going to start learning Power Cleans at the next Workout (B) day (where I usually row).

Here's the journal starting off Mon 10/09/07 (Wk1 Day1)

Squat - 3 x 5 55kg (next workout + 2.5kg)
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 55kg (next workout + 5kg)
    Deadlift - 1 x 5 80kg (next workout + 10kg)
    Situps - 1 x 12

Good workout but reasoanbly easy, not to worry won?t stay like that as I?ll increase the weight with each workout!

Default Wed 12/09/2007 - Workout (B)

Wk 1 Day 2

Squat 60Kg 3 x 5 (+5kg next workout)
    Press 37.5kg 3 x 5 (+2.5kg next workout)
    Pendlay Row 50kg 3 x 5 (+2.5kg next workout)
    Situps 1 x 12

Still a bit easy but I?m still holding back from adding to much extra weight just sticking with what the program says!

My weight is staying the same and I?m eating well!

I'm going to replace the row with power cleans at the next workout on Monday.

Default Fri 14/09/2007 - Workout (B)

Wk 1 Day 3

Squat 65kg 3 x 5 (PR)
    Bench 57.5kg 3 x 5
    Deadlift 90kg 3 x 5
    Next workout add 5kg to the Squat, 2.5kg to the Bench Press and 10kg to the Deadlfit. I should be hitting PR's on my Bench Press and deadlift next week. The workout went well, loving the squats and keeping them nice and tight, can't wait add the extra weight on Monday! I think I need more caffiene before the morning workout though as felt a bit slow and groggy still at the gym. I need to get up ealier to give myself chance to wake up and prepare so 7:00am starts Mon, Wed and Fri next week.
    Here's my post + pre workout meals today:

Pre:
    2 x desert spoonful of peanut butter washed done with a glass of water
    Porridge - 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup of water, splash of milk, a blob of honey (don't want to be to full when I workout)
    Cup of tea

1 x scoop of Optimum Whey Protien mixed with water

1 hour later:
    Bowl of mussel's and salad
    1 banana

Default Mon 17/09/2007 - Rippetoes Workout (B) Wk 2 Day 1

Squat 70Kg 3 x 5 (PR)
    Press 40Kg 3 x 5
    Power Cleans 40Kg 5 x 3

The squats we're hard work today, in fact it was all a bit difficult. I went out for a few beers Sat night and probably drank more than I realised as I still felt a bit rough today!

I still hit a PR though on the squats and will add another 5 kg on Wednesday. I'll be able to add to the Power Clean and Press as well, 5Kg and 2.5kg respectively.

What is it with people at my gym and using the squat rack for anything except squatting? Last week I had an older gentlemen wanting to do step ups on one of those aerobic steps whilst I was still using the squat rack and today a young lady was standing in the squat rack doing front lateral raises when I arrived. Maybe I'm getting a complex where I think I own the squat rack as I squat at every workout and today my whole workout more or less revolved around it, I used it for doing my presses and did my power cleans just in front of it!

I started doing Power Cleans instead or rows today so started off light to work on the technique, I think I should be adding 5Kg at the next workout.

Nice journal here. Good move on deciding to learn the power cleans early. I wish I had. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    Nice journal here. Good move on deciding to learn the power cleans early. I wish I had. I'll keep an eye on your progress.
    Cheers

Default Wed 19/09/2007 - Workout (A) Wk 2 Day 2

Squat 75Kg 3 x 5 (PR)
    Bench Press 60Kg 3 x 5
    Deadlift 100Kg 1 x 5

The workout went well as I hit my targets, I was glad of the lie down on the bench after the squats though. I'm going to add another 5kg to my squat again on Friday, then 2.5Kg and 10Kg to my bench press and deadlift respectively next Monday. It was my Birthday yesterday so went for a meal with my girlfriend and somehow ended up drinking 3 bottles of wine between us, that would be the reason it was hard work .
    I'm looking forward to having a workout on Friday without feeling jaded!

A couple of commets. The bb.com version of the program is just downright incorrect. They added rows from the floor over there after Starting Strength came out and everyone decided that power cleans were too intricate for anyone to learn. The REAL program that Rip teaches in his gym looks like this:

Monday
    Squat
    Bench/OH Press
    Chin Ups

Wednesday
    Squat
    Bench/OH Press
    Dead lift/power clean

Friday
    Squat
    Bench/OH Press
    Chin Ups.

The bench/OH press are alternated from workout to workout. Most guys start with the dead lift every week and add the power cleans later on. That's mainly because everyone is busy learning how to squat and dead lift and there's only so much information that a novice can take in all at one time.

The chin ups are done with the palms facing you. That brings the biceps into play a little more.

Thanks for pointing this out !

I was getting the impression that what was on bb.com wasn't right. I kept finding infomation that conflicted with what it said there, so I've ordered the book from aasgaard.com (don't know whats happened to my order but that's a different story).

So I either do Deadlifts or Power Cleans not both? I also get to work on my chinups which will be good!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adas75 View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out !

I was getting the impression that what was on bb.com wasn't right. I kept finding infomation that conflicted with what it said there, so I've ordered the book from aasgaard.com (don't know whats happened to my order but that's a different story).

So I either do Deadlifts or Power Cleans not both? I also get to work on my chinups which will be good!
    Exactly right on the DL/PCs.

You can email Aasgaard to find out what's happening. Mark usually ships on the very next business day. I don't know when you ordered but he's not selling the original book anymore. The new one is the replacement. Those books should be in any day.

I'm sure not an authorized spokesman for Mark. Just telling you what I know about the situation. Email Aasgaard for the official answer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast