starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny Teen starts "Liftin' Iron"

Default Skinny Teen starts "Liftin' Iron"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello!

Been lurking for a while now, but just recently decided to join up, so here goes nothing!

A little about me: I am an older teen, and have been lifting now for about 3-4 months, but only just recently started the SS-style program. I have always been a very health conscious person, and have been actively exercising and eating healthy since I was 12-13 years old. For the most part, I've always done bodyweight exercises (pushups, chin-ups, sit ups, lunges, etc.) and cardio, never having been interested in "liftin' iron." Needless to say, after a few years of this, I was a whopping 114lbs at 5' 6", and could see under my ribs. Once I saw this, I knew I was doing something wrong.

Long story short, after a little research, I ended up trying StrongLifts 5x5. 4 months in, I was making good progress, but was beginning to stall on OHP and Squat. Doing yet more research, I started Starting Strength, and immediately improved on all of my lifts. Now, I'm just going to push the program as far as I can!

In the last 4 months, I have gone from barely being able to squat the bar (apparently, air squats do NOT cross over as well as you might think), to grunting my way through 165. I've never felt better!

Here are my stats and all of my weights on the exercises as of 12/22:

Bodyweight: 130lbs
    Squat: 165lbs 3x5
    Overhead Press: 80lbs 3x5
    Bench Press: 95lbs 3x5
    Power Clean: Bar (just started these) 3x5
    Deadlift: 180lbs 1x5
    Dips: 10lbs 3x10
    Pullups: Still bodyweight 3x10
    Pushups: Haven't figured out how to add weight yet, so different variations for 3x10

I'm doing a slightly modified form of SS, where I do pushups/pullups/dips on the "rest days." Some may say it's too much, but if I don't so something on the off days I get all jittery.

My current goal is to hit a 200lb deadlift before the new year, and if I continue to add 10lbs on it per workout I should be able to attain that pretty easy!

Thanks for reading,
    Trevor
    Last edited by Trevor45; 12-23-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Trevor

Good for you. By starting as young as you are you should see some serious strength gains. So your pullups, pushups, dips are on your rest days. Take it easy on rest days. Resting is as important as lift days. Some of those may be alright on rest days but don't overdo it. Do you have the books? Have you checked to see if a certified Starting Strength coach is near enough to you that you could check with him or her at least from time to time? Keep up the good work.

Carson,

I don't have the books at the moment, as I may receive them for Christmas. If I don't, I plan to order them the next day. Unfortunately, the SS coaches in my state aren't very close. I do have a couple friends of mine who are knowledgeable about lifting, and they have been very helpful whenever I need any help with form (they actually helped me with my clean yesterday, and it was a huge help!)

About the rest day exercises: I haven't had any problems with them interfering with my recovery, and I'm fairly careful about overdoing it, but I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Thanks!

Default Success!

Just pushed through some sticking points today! Turns out that doing the morning workout fasted was really holding me back. I got up extra early today, and had some light protein, a banana, and a little rice before working out, and my energy levels were definitely increased.

The workout today:

Squat: 170 3x5
    Overhead Press: 85 3x5
    Deadlift: 190 1x5

Notes:
    Squat: Was still hard, but the extra boost from the food definitely helped.
    Overhead Press: Was surprisingly easy, considering how hard 80 seemed! Once again, I'm thinking the food helped...
    Deadlift: Starting to have problems with my grip slipping, so I'm going to have to get some chalk (gym doesn't provide it).

Trevor

You not only need to top off in calories but in protein. Do you have a way to measure both your calories and you proteins? You should be eating around 3000 calories a day and 130 or more mg. of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Glad that you found that out!

It's important to keep your tank topped up for lifting. Hopefully you can keep putting on weight on both the bar and your frame for a while longer.
    I'm glad as well ! I still can't believe how much difference a slice of meat and a banana can make...

I never realized just how hard it can be to gain weight...I'm eating almost non-stop, and I'm still not eating enough! I can't eat/drink dairy (can't do GOMAD), so I'm going to have to find some other calorie dense foods. Any ideas?

Trevor

Whey protein. There are chocolate bars with large quantities of protein. Larger portions of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You not only need to top off in calories but in protein. Do you have a way to measure both your calories and you proteins? You should be eating around 3000 calories a day and 130 or more mg. of protein.
    I think I eat plenty of protein. A typical breakfast includes 5 eggs, lunch usually has a can of fish or some sliced meat, and dinner usually has red meat (steak, roast, etc.) or whole chicken. Do you think that is enough?

Trevor

Does it constitute 130 mg. + or not. It looks like a great deal but I can't tell without checking the mg. intake of protein.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Does it constitute 130 mg. + or not. It looks like a great deal but I can't tell without checking the mg. intake of protein.
    Just added it all up: basically, I'm averaging 90-100g of protein a day. Now, I see that you are saying milligrams, but I assume you mean grams? Milligrams would be a somewhat small amount...

I obviously have a way to go to hit 130g! Any tips? I can't drink whey for the same reasons I can't drink milk.

Thanks!
    Trevor

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast