starting strength gym

Thread: My "I am not from Texas" Method

Default My "I am not from Texas" Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Gday folks,

So this is my kind of modified(don't kill me) version of the Texas method. I'll give a bit of a background first before the log begins.

I'm 28, from Australia, about 6 foot tall and weigh around 165lbs(yes I know that's too small but I used to weigh 140 odd, can't afford more food, don't want to move up a weight class right now and also blame genetics). I have competed in a novice powerlifting competition this year and posted a 259lb squat, a 165lb bench because I jumped up weight too high after and couldn't hit 198lb, and a 375lb deadlift. After coming back home(5 hours drive south of Perth, Western Australia, the most isolated capital city in the world) I decided to train for another competition in April 2017. I paid a guy for a Westside style 10 week program and did 5 weeks and realised that it was not working for various reasons so I decided not to waste any more time and chose a Texas method style program. I have been lifting weights for 3 years and never did starting strength cos I just wanted to curl to get girls(I have one amazing one and no curls were actually needed).

According to practical programming I'm intermediate, according to Russian Strength Classification I'm not, according to myself I'm too old to do strict linear and can use the recovery day to work on my weak Front Squat and Press 2.0.

Enjoy reading my stupidity.

Default Week 1 Training

17/2/16 Intensity Day 1(ID)

Squat 1(set)x 5(reps) 85kg
    Bench 1 x5 65kg
    Deadlift 1x5 105kg

20/12/16 Volume Day 1(VD)

Squat 5x5 77.5kg
    Bench 5x5 57.25kg
    Deadlift 1x5 95kg
    Chins/Dips 2x8 Bodyweight

22/12/16 Recovery Day 1(RD)

Front Squat 3x3 55kg
    Press 2.0 2x5 30kg
    Row 2x5 55kg

This was the first week. You'll see my changes over the next few posts as I realised some things were stupid. Namely, deadlifting twice a week one heavy one lighter doesn't work. I changed it so I get more volume by doing rack pulls to drive it without power cleans cos I can't really do them but without being as taxed from deadlift, row, deadlift. I think what I changed to will work but we will see. I've dropped the rows and moved chin ups to recovery day and dropped dips.

Default week 2

24/12/16 ID 2

Squat 1x5 90kg
    Bench 1x5 70kg
    Dead 1x5 110kg

27/12/16 VD 2

Squat 5x5 80kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Rack Pull 3x3 100kg

29/12/16 RD 2

Front Squat 3x3 60kg
    Press 2.0 2x5 32.5kg
    Chin Ups 2x10 BW

Week 2 done. Volume day was hard as I had the flu/hayfever. I thought I was going to cut the sets down but didn't need to as felt ok in the end. Perseverance is a good thing sometimes. You'll noticed that I jump 5kg on everything on ID. I wasn't meant to jump that much on bench but forgot my sheet so guessed wrong. I got it so don't care. As for squats and deadlifts, I'm still not fully intermediate so I'm running a bigger jump until I get to 100kg squat and 120 deadlift. So two more weeks. Then I will go to smaller jumps on everything. I have decided this is achievable solely for myself. I am now increasing RD and VD slowly as they are too close to my ID for my liking. I'm writing in kg because I'm Australian and can't be bothered converting everything I've written down. If you want it to be lbs then just double it and add a couple more on the end.
    I'll make a post in the new year once I've done the next lot of workouts.

Gain weight. Lift heavy. Do the program. Prosper. Welcome.

Life is easier north of 200.
    Your problem isn't programming, your problem is food. Solve that problem, and the strength will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Life is easier north of 200.
    Your problem isn't programming, your problem is food. Solve that problem, and the strength will come.
    Amen.

I do understand the advice on weight increase and if you're offering to donate to my food bill I will gladly accept. Rest assured that your American dollar will go a long way here.
    I also hope everyone has had a great start to the new year.
    Otherwise it's on to Week 3 results.

31/12/16 ID 3
    Squat 95kg 1x5
    Bench 72.5kg 1x5
    Deadlift 115kg 1x5

2/1/17 VD 3
    Squat 82.5kg 5x5
    Bench 65kg 5x5
    Rack Pull 102.5kg 3x3

4/1/17 RD 3
    Front Squat 62.5kg 3x3
    Press 2.0 35kg 2x5
    Chin Ups 2x10

I had to alter days and do my Volume early this week. So I'm happy to have survived, if only because it's not quite 90% anymore. I'm happy with this week. In particular, hitting myself in the nose once on the way up and once on the way down during the Press. Probably means I'm finally driving the bar straight up.

I unfortunately have to go away next week and am still debating what I will do before then. I may do a 1RM test right before I go and then start everything again when I'm back with the same weight I finish on instead of an increase. I'll see how I go.

Greetings folks, back from my holiday so thought I'd update. The week before I left I did intensity day and got
    Squat 100kg 1x5, bench 75kg 1x5 and deadlift 120kg 1x5. I was happy as was was my first mini goal and achieved in one month.
    I then did a 1rm day with the flu which was not great at 110kg, 80kg and 140kg. I was not happy but ok with it as it was done with not much of an adrenaline rush.

This week so far
    17/1/17 VD 4
    Squat 5x3 85kg
    Bench 5x3 67.5kg
    Chin ups and dips 2x8 with 5kg added

19/1/17 RD 4
    Front squats 3x3 60kg
    Press 2x5 35kg
    Back extensions 2x12

That's it. I've changed to triples for this month. I'll drop front squats soon but keep presses. I'm feeling pretty good right now. Hopefully set some PBs in April.

starting strength coach development program
    You must be the first guy I see on the forum who is weaker than I am.

I'm pretty sure everyone here thinks it's too early for you to be doing TM. Intermediate level is not how long you've been lifting, it's how fast you can progress. You should start an LP and reach 1.5xBW squat fairly quick, even without gaining a ton of weight.