starting strength gym

Thread: Seminar Prepetation Materials

Default Seminar Prepetation Materials

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In preparing for an upcoming seminar I am re-reading SSBBT3 and PPST3 in addition to following the other recommendations found in the sticky regarding aspiring SSCs.

My question is, does/should "The Barbell Prescription" hold the same level of importance as the previously mentioned texts?

I am going to read it regardless, I am just planning my time regarding review of SS texts/articles/videos, review of A&P, review of physics, and coaching practice and I want to allocate my time wisely.

Thanks

Concentrate on what you've already selected.

BBRx has three sections. The first section can be saved for later. The second section can be skipped - it's for a total newb to the exercises and doesn't address techinque. The third section is derived from SS and PPST, with expansion and examples for dealing with an older population. Look at the novice chapters 19-21 after you're done with PPST, if you can. Novices are where the population is. Those three chapters will walk you though the concepts you should already know from PPST for older populations and give you more concrete methods for dealing with impairments.

Are you trying to attain the credential? Or attending for the lifting / learning experience?

Thank you stef, that was very helpful.

To answer your question Steve, it depends. I am currently interning at Westminster S&C )under Beau & Angie Bryant and Eric Shugars), so if I reach a point where I feel I can compitently coach the lifts prior to the seminar then I will elect to take the platform exam. If I am not confident that I can coach the lifts. I will attend for the lifting/learning experience. In the second scenario I'll spend the following year garnering more coaching experience and try for the credential in 2018.

My primary concern is my ability to complete the OODA loop in the appropriate amount of time to que effectively. Additionally there is the matter of working out the kinks in my own lifts for that portion of the "coaching eye" model, Of course I want to be as prepared as possible though, regardless of where I am in terms of coaching, to get as much out of the seminar as I can.