starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearce Log

Default Pearce Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 31 year old experienced lifter but novice trainee in Tennessee. I trained in high school, but have only used lifting as exercise since then.

In 2011, I was up to about 300lbs of mostly bad weight. I started running and dieting and got down to 180, trained for and finished a marathon, got a little burned out so I started doing a Crossfit style class at my gym.

This led to joining an actual Crossfit gym a while ago. It's not a bad gym, I like the people, I've gained some strength, they actually teach these lifts very similarly to the book, but I'm the type of person who asks "why?" a lot and I immediately began to form the same questions that other people apparently have about Crossfit's safety. Also I've trained for things before so I was skeptical of the effectiveness of random exercises at developing strength.

I still run about once a week and my endurance has not kept up. So, I started researching Crossfit endurance about 3 months ago, randomly found Mark's article which led me to other articles confirming a lot of what I already kind of assumed about Crossfit. I pulled the trigger on buying the book about a week ago and I'll be doing my first session this evening.

Squat: 3x5 205
    Bench: 3x5 185
    Deadlift: 1x5 245

Always been a high bar squatter. Just reading the book on the squat and following the advice made a huge positive difference in how the squat felt.

I felt comfortable with all those weights. Thought I had a little left in the tank at the gym but definitely fatigued now.

1/4/17

Squat: 3x5 215
    Press: 3x5 105
    Deadlift: 1x5 255

Squats were tough but doable. I kept my knees shoved out better today but felt like now they're coming forward a bit.

Press is a pretty new exercise for me that will require some work to get correct form.

Deadlift was fine.

For so many reasons SS is the best choice you could make. Have you been able to make a solid transition to low bar back squat? It engages more of the body in the lift than does a high bar squat.

I encourage you to find and consult with a certified Starting Strength coach if you live within a few hundred miles of one. Even if you don't at least one visit can help a great deal. Check out the online training as well. Finally, post some videos from time to time.

Thanks! I actually like the low bar squat quite a bit more. I had low back problems about a year ago that were caused by squatting. In SS, Mark describes something very similar to what I experienced as a result of high bar squatting and the back angle being too vertical.

I'll check out the coaches' locations. I bet there are some in Atlanta. I'll have to figure out how to mount my phone to get it set up at my gym to make videos. I think it would be helpful.

Today's log:
    BW: 222.4
    Squat: 225 3 sets of 5
    Bench: 190 3 sets of 5
    Deadlift: 265 1 set of 5

I could feel my legs yesterday for sure, but felt fine walking into the gym today. I'm probably going to try for at least one more day of 10lb jumps on squat and deadlift and see how that goes. I haven't come close to failing a rep yet and I think my technique is improving so I may have started too conservatively.

Squat: 235 3x5
    Press: 110 3x5
    Deadlift: 275 1x5

Was already tired walking in the gym, so definitely not my best day. Got every rep until the working set of deadlifts and had to regroup with a mixed grip for the last two reps.

Squat: 240 3x5
    Bench: 195 3x5
    Deadlift: 285 1x5

Last set of squats sucked. I was pitching onto my right toes. I think the bar was coming too far forward.

Lots of unnecessary moment arms on the deadlift. I'm having to reposition the weight after each rep which I don't think should be happening.

I really need to video a session to check my form.

A coach can help you get away from bad habits. It does seem that you are pitching forward on the squat as you describe it.

On DL one cue that helps me is to find the center of your foot which is about one inch from your leg before lifting. One does this by slightly leaning back with bar on leg until you sense the weight in the mid foot.

Videos will help but nothing beats a face to face with a certified SS coach.

Missed a few days of logging, but I haven't missed any sessions of lifting.

Today's numbers:
    SQ: 260
    BP: 205
    DL: 310

The squats and deadlift have gotten much better. I think part of the problem is that I've been doing a little running on Saturday or Sunday and it's made the Monday and Wednesday sessions a little more difficult.

starting strength coach development program
    Subbed. Good luck with the lifting. Started about the same time and similar numbers. Interested to see how you progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast