starting strength gym

Thread: The "Crossfit Total" - competitions?

Default The "Crossfit Total" - competitions?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just out of curiosity, do any crossfit affiliates or other organizations plan on endorsing the "Crossfit Total" for competition analogous to PL comps? And I don't mean for members of the crossfit community and specific to club members, but rather for strength athletes in general. I.e. no requirement to belong to one of these crossfit affiliated clubs.

You proposed this idea ~December of 06, I believe, but I haven't heard of any formal competition promoted by any organization, to date.

The plan has always been to open the competitions up to the strength training public, and if you know of a CF affiliate that would not let you lift in a CFT meet they had, I would appreciate knowing about it. We have them here about every 3-4 months, and everyone is welcome.

This is mildly off topic, but related to a question I saw posed to you on EFS, so feel free to ignore it.

I'd humbly suggest adding a 1 RM weighted chin to the contest lifts, perhaps even just for fun at some point. Yes, I read the interview where you pointed out the difficulty in judging and equipment, but surely something could be worked out.

On the judging end, it seems like you could start with a "pull" command (or simply a self-imposed pause analogous to a PL bench) at full hang, with side judges looking for the chin to clear the bar. As for equipment standards, I would think a dip belt and symmetrically loaded plates would largely do the trick. As for stuff like chain length, as long as it wasn't hitting the floor, it seems like that's kind of a non-issue. The total would be your bodyweight + what's dangling between your legs, obviously.

I think I'm just saying this because I've been waiting for a weighted chin contest to shine at for a long time now, and it doesn't seem like anybody has ever gotten behind the idea.

You'd want to add a fourth, non-barbell, test to the CFT that would be even harder to judge than the traditional lifts and would make an already long, relatively boring event even more so? Why would you do this to your meet director? Has he offended you? Has your selfish desire to place higher in a competition by including a movement that you can do well supplanted your will to just train the weak ones harder? What do your friends think about your apparently elevated estrogen levels?

Please, reconsider your request.

He's just wanting something to show off his freakish monkey powered Chinning strength

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You'd want to add a fourth, non-barbell, test to the CFT that would be even harder to judge than the traditional lifts and would make an already long, relatively boring event even more so? Why would you do this to your meet director? Has he offended you? Has your selfish desire to place higher in a competition by including a movement that you can do well supplanted your will to just train the weak ones harder? What do your friends think about your apparently elevated estrogen levels?

Please, reconsider your request.
    Well, many strongman contests (from regional to national) certainly include judged events/lifts that do not employ barbells, so I do not see what's so sacred about only judging barbell lifts.

It's plausible that my selfish desire is dictating this request, perhaps even negatively affecting my estrogen levels, though I have increased my intake of chocolate milk lately, which should help offset this grim possibility.

starting strength coach development program
    Barbells are sacred because I made them that way.