starting strength gym

Thread: elevating heels during squats

Question elevating balls of feet during squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i have been using a 3/4" piece of plywood under the balls of my feet during squatting.
    i am tall and it enables me to "break with my hips" and keep my weight on my heels throughout the movement.

is there any reason not to continue using this method?

i recently tried squatting without the board and after a month it still doesnt feel right: i am breaking with my knees and cant keep my weight on my heels...

thank you for your time and expertise!

The title of the post says "Elevating heels", but the body of the message mentions elevating the balls of the feet. Please clarify.

I have a similar question, so i guess I'll post it here.

My descent is fine when I back squat; however, when i front squat, i have trouble going into the hole without letting my back move forward -- making my thigh-upper body angle much more acute, my elbows point towards the ground and my back round. I've tried stretching, but that doesn't seem to help. The only thing that allows me to descend with my back more upright, with the bar remaining above my feet, is to place a 1 inch board under my heals. With the board, I have absolutely no trouble keeping good form.

So i guess my question has two parts:

Is there a danger using a board under the heals? If so, does the size of the board dictate the degree of danger? And is it just as (if not more) dangerous for front squatting as it is with back squats.

Do you have any suggestions to fix my front squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The title of the post says "Elevating heels", but the body of the message mentions elevating the balls of the feet. Please clarify.
    sorry! that was really stupid!
    i am elevating the balls of my feet...please disregard the title of the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    the title has been fixed! again, sorry for the idiocy!

starting strength coach development program
    If you need to elevate the balls of your feet to get your hips back to where they need to be, you have a movement problem that the aid is merely postponing the fixing of. Get rid of it and learn how to use your hips correctly.

And a block under your heels is always used to sub for sufficient hamstring flexibility. Weightlifting shoes use an elevated heel to help with getting in a good position, and if you're not using them I'd advise getting a pair. But if you need the amount of lift provided by a 2x4, you need to stretch.