starting strength gym

Thread: Persistent lumbar pain in deadlifts

Default Persistent lumbar pain in deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark... CFer here... saw you at the CF Games, we didn't speak

I don't have a strength background, but have been CrossFitting for about a year, with the accompanying strength training. When I started, I had a lot of trouble with my lower back when I worked deadlifts, but I made major improvements to my form (I was lifting with my back, basically) and it's gotten a lot better. Nowadays I max at 330, BW 165. (If you want to glance at form, here's a quick vid -- power clean, not too heavy, but it has the DL component -- http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro...leans91507.mov)

Problem is this: if I deadlift for high weight with a significant number of reps, such as today's WoD Linda, I invariably feel my lower back getting increasingly sore, and before long I usually have to abandon the workout. It's not a good sore, it's a crippled, tight sore. If I stop early enough, I don't feel broken for the next few days... otherwise, well...

I can get some similar injury from a 1RM, but I'm willing to concede that's merely from letting the back round. But I believe that my form is acceptable at sub-max weights, unless perhaps fatigue lets it go lax.

I don't know. Should I lift with much less weight? Might I have an injury? I've had some similar issues with back extensions and the like.

Thanks Mark.

Well, if we didn't speak, you must owe me a beer. You pull looks correct to me, and even with a little rounding -- a little, not a completely flexed lumbar -- it should not hurt the way you describe. It is possible that you have an injury, and it might be wise to rule it out before you go heavier.