starting strength gym

Thread: keeping leg strength with low back pain?

Default keeping leg strength with low back pain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What exercises would you substitute for squat and deadlift if your trainee needs to spare the low back (say because he got a back pain and need to avoid loading the spine for a while)?

Thanks!

I would first determine what caused the back pain before I assumed that squats and deadlifts were to be avoided. Many times they are very helpful in rehab, depending on the nature of the injury.

If I then determined that squats and deadlifts would be detrimental, I might do glute/hams, back extensions, or reverse hypers, and pull the weighted sled to try and maintain some leg strength until the back healed.

how would you determine how heavy the weights should be on the SS exercises when rehabbing the back or if you were just playing caution to an old injury that may have the potential of being bad in forseable future if not supa-stiffened up

Quote Originally Posted by butter View Post
    how would you determine how heavy the weights should be on the SS exercises when rehabbing the back or if you were just playing caution to an old injury that may have the potential of being bad in forseable future if not supa-stiffened up
    Already dealt with that:

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=309

Neat post, will hope to not use that in future but will if