starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming for people with suboptimal lifestyle

Default Programming for people with suboptimal lifestyle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip, first of all thanks for your wonderful content.

The dominant philosophy out there is that novice, intermediate, advanced lifters cut-offs are determined by strength standards. Although my lifts are considered to be novice (advanced novice perhaps) by strength standards, I found that due to lifestyle interventions (recovery, rest, working 18 hours a day and not getting enough sleep, food, etc) i am unable to progress steadly on the SS program. For instance, my squat is 235-240 (5x3), press is 115-120 5x3, and bench is 185 5x3. I have been stuck there for a year or more (I am a fool for doing the same thing all that period, i realize that). I weigh 175 lbs and i am 5.8.

Would failure to advance in that stage due to these reasons be a logical/legit motive to switch to an intermediate program (the Texas method) to avoid the expected 5 lbs increase in lifts each workout and go to a slower program, hoping that it will allow growth because of its slower incrementalist approach?

Warm regards from freezing Minnesota

Strength standards are absolutely not the defining characteristic of advancement levels. Never for anybody, and under no circumstances. This is explained in the programming chapter of the blue book and at length in PPST3.

Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by fateh View Post
    I weigh 175 lbs and i am 5.8.
    This is part of your problem. Make an effort to get to 200-205 and your lifts will go up. I've been where you are, and it took me recognizing that an adult male weighs 200 lbs. to get going again.

And I'm guessing that, with that kind of recovery ability, Texas Method is the worst thing to do.

The Texas Method is usually the wrong thing to do for most people.

You're not going to make any progress without adequate sleep and nutrition, regardless of programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, I just switched to the 4 day split because recovery wasn't working out. It's pretty great to show up, do 2-3 lifts, and leave already. My workouts are back to being an hour and a half long and my DOMS isn't even half as bad as it used to be. I'd have done HLM, but the transition from TM to the 4 day version was too smooth to pass up; no hassle at all.

Thanks for writing Practical Programming, btw; I'd be more than lost without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What do you currently recommend as the best intermediate programming for most people?

Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies.

My BMI is already 26. with 200 lbs wight i will be 29.5 (close to obese). Since my training goals are health, strength to avoid the placement in a nursing home or breaking a hip, and not competitive lifting, i wonder if i would be doing my self a disservice by increasing the weight that much.

I saw that plenty of people around are so darn strong with weights closer to 180. Is this a function of increasing the weight and then cutting back?

I recently ordered PPS3 so i will be reading it in detail. I wont ask questions until I finish reading it.

Thanks so much again for your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    What do you currently recommend as the best intermediate programming for most people?
    For adults with no competitive aspirations, I recommend the split routine. You've been around the boards long enough to have seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by fateh View Post
    My BMI is already 26. with 200 lbs wight i will be 29.5 (close to obese). Since my training goals are health, strength to avoid the placement in a nursing home or breaking a hip, and not competitive lifting, i wonder if i would be doing my self a disservice by increasing the weight that much.
    You've got a lot more reading to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast