starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk it!

Default Milk it!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy..I'm a big fan of drinking the good stuff, is the other types of Milks available almost as beneficial as Whole Milk?

I like whole milk because one of the problems in gaining weight is calories, and obviously whole milk wins on this criterion. Why would a person concerned with gaining weight be concerned with the fat content of milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I like whole milk because one of the problems in gaining weight is calories, and obviously whole milk wins on this criterion. Why would a person concerned with gaining weight be concerned with the fat content of milk?
    I'm concerned with the saturated fat in whole milk, which is why I think skim milk is a better choice. Saturated fat is known to clog arteries so cutting it in particular parts of your diet would probably be beneficial long-term. Per serving, there is 5g of saturated fat/150 calories in whole milk and 0g of saturated fat/90 calories in skim milk. Given that there's only that small amount more of calories in whole milk, don't you think it would be wiser to make up that difference in calories in a more efficient manner? There are plenty of foods which contain 5g of saturated fat that have several hundred calories in them as opposed to just the 60 calories difference in the milk alternatives. So if you're going to eat 5g of saturated fat, you might as well get a bang for your buck.

..true that, I hear that Milk protein is a winner but the Milk sugars is not, it might just be the studies that suggest better carb alternatives, not sure if that is the same case with the fats, i.e get fats from better sources..but i'm totally with you and don't really see any problems, milk is healthy!

cheers!

What is your concern with saturated fat? And please be specific when you detail the detrimental effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is your concern with saturated fat? And please be specific when you detail the detrimental effects.
    You just made me realize that I made a stupid mistake- accepting claims without seeking proper evidence for it. I accepted the claim that saturated fats cause heart disease because it seemed like all the big health organizations tout this as a fact.

1.American Heart Ass.: http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4582
    2.World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../2003/pr20/en/
    3. FDA: I think they're the ones who create the guidelines on the food labels, which state a strict limitation on saturated fats.

Those are just the top few from doing a quick search, so I'm sure there's plenty more organizations who make the same claims.

But after digging a little deeper, it's starting to make more sense to me that eating a diet high in saturated fats(and low in processed foods) is the heathiest way to go. However, I can't say that I can make a strong claim on the issue because there are so many studies that "prove" saturated fats are unhealthy and plenty "prove" that they are healthy. It's hard to sort through all the contradictive information.

The deal with saturated fat is that, above all, it is not poison. No study in existence has ever shown that saturated fat causes CVD, and its presence in a food that is useful should not prevent you from using in your diet. No one is suggesting that you get half of your calories from the "butter" they use on movie popcorn, but whole milk for a growing young lifter is much more more valuable than the fat it contains is dangerous. Milk is quite literally better than steroids for a novice lifter to grow on, and no supplement produces the same effect.

Any suggestions for a milk replacement for us lactose intolerant folks. I have tried Lactaid with limited success. It's weird it seems to work at first and then they stop working withing a week or two and gets works. I then up my intake of pills and lower my milk consumption to see where a good balance is at and it doesn't help.

So I have maybe a couple of gulps a day now and even with that I get pretty gassy. I wish I could have more, I love the stuff.

There is no substitute for milk. Sorry.

starting strength coach development program
    Mr. Rippetoe,

Really like the new cover of the 2nd ed.

With regards to milk. I'm 36 YO. Should I be drinking milk to assist growth? I do whey protein morning and night. That and L-Glut are my only two supps.

I have been a pretty big milk drinker, but have given it up from time to time. I thought the sugar in the milk was making me fat.

Thanks for putting out the new book. I'm checking my mail everyday for it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast