starting strength gym

Thread: Texas method - question about the light day

Default Texas method - question about the light day

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm asking this in pursuance of a discussion I'm having with a friend.

Let's say, for example, that I'm using the following routine for pressing:
    monday: volume
    bench 5x5
    wednesday: light
    OH press 3x5
    friday: high intensity
    bench press 1x3

This is what my friend suggests:
    Rippetoe says wednesday should be lighter than Monday, about 80% of 1RM. I interprete this as 80% of your 1RM on the exercise you're doing on Wednesday. In your example: heavy 5x5 sets accross on monday, 80% of oh press 1RM on wednesday & 3RM on Bench Press on Friday.
    So basicly, he says I shouldn't go heavy on OH presses on wednesday, but keep the weight low.

This doesn't make much sense to me, as I would never press heavy for as long as I do the program (assuming I don't suddenly start doing OH presses on friday). It would make more sense to do it as described in "the strongest shall survive", go heavy on OH presses on wednesday. Because the weight is significantly lighter than the weight used on the bench on monday, this would allow the shoulder girdle to rest somewhat while still working the shoulders from a different angle.

Rippetoe doesn't really mention % for the texas method in pratical programming. The above is how I interprete his writings & how I applied it in the past. If you want confirmation of Rippetoe, you know you can reach him on Strength Mill.
    So here I am, asking you for your opinion.

I think you're letting your friend keep you from reading his source material. There may be a translation problem. I suggest you get the book and read it yourself, and then ask me questions based on your own understanding of what you read. If you want confirmation of Rippetoe, read his book.

Basically, you're right and your friend is wrong.