starting strength gym
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean's Novice Log

Default Sean's Novice Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys/gals. I'm in Sacramento, CA. I used to be a skinny guy weighing 135lbs coming out of highschool at 5'10" and left college at 180lbs but unfortunately that was due to beer/food. I didn't start lifting until I thought I was too fat. I didn't see much progress so went to running. Looking back it was because I was still exercising and nutrition. I ran a couple half marathons and got back down to 155lbs. Since then I've been trying to build back up to 180-200lbs with muscle but have struggled for a few years. I was lifting in my work gym, but strayed from squats/deads/etc because I have a bad back and was afraid based on things I've heard. About a year ago I started playing with a barbell for squats/deads because it actually made my back feel pretty good which was surprising, but I wasn't lifting much.

Somehow I came across Starting Strength a couple weeks ago and read it cover to cover in a week. I was blown away by the depth/physics/logic applied to lifting and reasoning behind the barbell lifts. I setup a home gym a couple weeks ago after buying some weights/barbell on Craigslist. Before I had a rack I was working on light squats for form and deadlifts. Since getting the rack I've started the novice training phase.

Starting weight - 175lbs, 25%BF
    I was stricking lifting these weights when looking at form without a rack. I was worried about messing with my back.

Squat: 45
    Bench: 65
    Press: 45
    Dead: 135

Since I've been tracking in a spreadsheet with power rack. I didn't start eating correctly until week 3 and didn't understand that I was supposed to add 10lbs to the squat in the start of the program so I'll probably do that this week and stop once I start to slow a bit. Then I'll go back to the 5lb progression.
    Wk 1 Start
    Squat: 105
    Bench: 115
    Press: 60
    Dead: 155

Wk 2 End
    Squat: 130
    Bench: 125
    Press: 70
    Dead: 175

Wk 3 End
    Squat: 145
    Bench: 135
    Press: 75
    Dead: 185

Wk 4 Start (2/6/17) - 180lbs, 24%BF gained roughly 5 pounds and I feel like I'm seeing strength progress. I'm going to be learning the clean this week.
    Squat: 155
    Press: 80
    Dead: 190
    Chin: 5x3

I started wk 4 Monday and deadlifting 190 was something else. I also filmed all lifts, but was surprised my form improved on the squat once there was substantial weight on the bar. I was worried about squatting 155 because my empty bar squat was showing some flexion but once I got up to 135 and then 155 I had perfect form. Not sure if that is normal or not. I'll figure out how to post some of my videos on this forum later. I'm looking forward to my progress and getting stronger. I'm really trying to stick with the program, but have been running a couple miles at a 10-11 min pace with my wife because of her work stress when I'm on a rest day. I know this isn't ideal, but I'm trying to keep it less strenuous and eat enough to cover any calories lost during the run. It's just a personal thing to want to run with the wife to make sure she is safe (running at night). More important than lifts as long as I can keep it at a slow pace (normal running pace when alone for me is 8:30/mile).
    Last edited by pip; 02-08-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Default Sean's Novice Log

This is how I'm tracking my lifts SS_workout.xls - Google Sheets

I use a whiteboard in my basement during the workouts.

Home gym:

Eating 4,000 calories is a tough gig. I've been steadily eating 3-4,000 but requires me to pretty much eat ~5-6 meals when I used to only eat ~2,000 a day. Milk helps with calories and work has free milk (for coffee)... until they notice I'm drinking it all.

I bought a B&R 2.0 from a local guy the other day to improve upon my current rig. The improved feel and stability (think cheap bar was bent) is incredible. I will need some weight soon since I only have ~250lbs so I'll keep looking on CL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great start

1. Easiest way flim: Use your smartphone and upload to youtube. You can keep the video private and post them here at unlisted links. Usually recording the last set of an exercise is best to get an idea of form break down etc etc

2. Unless you have the goal of training to be part of the top 1% it doesn't mater that you run with your wife. Trust me. Don't worry about it. Happy wife happy life and better recovery levels.

3. My best tip is to find a way to stay in a caloric surplus to get the best results on this linear program. You'll gain weight and that's ok. When you've progress to intermediate level you can have a goal and decide if bodyfat reduction is your primary goal.

Keep it going! (and don't sweat the small stuff because it really doesn't matter)
    Last edited by Quit Tomorrow; 02-09-2017 at 12:20 PM.

It looks like you are off to a good start! I'll echo Quit Tomorrow's comments, run with your wife and don't worry about it. And keep eating! I started at about the same place you did, around 5 months ago, and I feel not eating enough has really affected what I could have gotten done.

Nice find with that B&R bar! There are good deals on Craig's List if you look. I have gotten a bunch of weights from local facebook groups, you could look those too.

Your start was a little shaky (Not knowing about increments until week 3) but you seem to have hit a better stride.

Living where you do you have access to certified Starting Strength coaches. Go see one so you can make sure to keep mistakes in technique at a minimum.

Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Your start was a little shaky (Not knowing about increments until week 3) but you seem to have hit a better stride.

Living where you do you have access to certified Starting Strength coaches. Go see one so you can make sure to keep mistakes in technique at a minimum.

Keep it up.
    Thanks for the tip. Just found one at Sac state. I'll schedule some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quit Tomorrow View Post
    Great start

1. Easiest way flim: Use your smartphone and upload to youtube. You can keep the video private and post them here at unlisted links. Usually recording the last set of an exercise is best to get an idea of form break down etc etc

2. Unless you have the goal of training to be part of the top 1% it doesn't mater that you run with your wife. Trust me. Don't worry about it. Happy wife happy life and better recovery levels.

3. My best tip is to find a way to stay in a caloric surplus to get the best results on this linear program. You'll gain weight and that's ok. When you've progress to intermediate level you can have a goal and decide if bodyfat reduction is your primary goal.

Keep it going! (and don't sweat the small stuff because it really doesn't matter)
    Quote Originally Posted by All Day Coffee Break View Post
    It looks like you are off to a good start! I'll echo Quit Tomorrow's comments, run with your wife and don't worry about it. And keep eating! I started at about the same place you did, around 5 months ago, and I feel not eating enough has really affected what I could have gotten done.

Nice find with that B&R bar! There are good deals on Craig's List if you look. I have gotten a bunch of weights from local facebook groups, you could look those too.
    Good to hear feedback on light running since I'm only trying to improve my strength and fix some of the longer term back pain I've had.

Will upload soon

Hopefully this link works 155lb Squat - YouTube

This is from a few days ago.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been working on my form and think I still have some room for progress but I'm doing less of a good morning now that I'm breaking at the hips/knees at the same time to maintain the same back angle on the way down.

Next thing to fix is pushing my knees out more on the first third.

3rd Set of 205lb Squat:

Deadlift set 225lbs:
    Last edited by pip; 02-17-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast