starting strength gym

Thread: Press workout for every bench press workout

Default Press workout for every bench press workout

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark.

In "Starting Strength" you write that there should be at least one press workout for every bench press workout. I see how it works in the novice programs since you just alternate them.

Can you explain or give an example how to apply this in the Texas Method for example? It seems like usually the press is done once during the recovery day and bench press twice.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find any answer.

Thanks.

Since the Texas method is an intermediate program done by an athlete who has decided to train for a sport, some specialization must occur. The 2:1 bench to press ratio reflects this degree of specialization.

Thanks for the reply.

So, do you consider the 2:1 ratio good enough to keep the balance between the external and internal rotators?

For a more advanced athlete with a decent press/bench ratio, probably. But if the bench press is to be trained effectively for competition, that will be the primary consideration.

If I remember correctly, you said that a good press/bench ration is around 2:3.

If my ratio is not that good (it's around 175lbs/300lbs), and I don't train the bench for competition, would you say that training the press on the volume and intensity day and the bench on recovery day is a better option?

Thanks

I don't remember anything about a 2:3 ratio on any exercise I've ever written about. If you are not a competitive PLer, I'd do whatever I could to improve your press/bench ratio, and then worry about specializing the bench later.

You said on the interview here:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/crossfit_total.htm

if you?re a strong athlete who uses a balanced, functional approach to training, you should probably press about two-thirds of your bench, squat more than you bench, and pull a little more than you squat.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. You've been very helpful.

Okay, your referring to strength balance, as opposed to workout frequency. Sorry, duh. So yes, bench one day and press two, as you suggest.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, sorry I was unclear and thanks for your help.