starting strength gym

Thread: Clients that don't know what they need but pay you for what they want...

Question Clients that don't know what they need but pay you for what they want...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, so im a trainer a bit new to the industry but not to lifting or exercise science (i have a lot of education on the subject) and I'm fortunate enough to train at multiple gyms. More fortunately one of the facilities i train at is focused on taking young kids about high school age, and making them stronger, more powerful, bigger/stronger/faster, and over all better for their sports... these clients aren't the issue. the not so fortunate part is that i also train at a commercial gym (which will remain unnamed) and of course the people that go to these styles of gyms have been blasted by modern media of what a man or woman is "supposed" to look like. Usually the aforementioned image is that of a over juiced gear head with 20 inch arms and a 28 inch waist and of course those "razor abs" are in there, or of a "fit" looking women wearing leggings and doing some form of cardio and this women of course is one of the few to have that ever elusive "toned" look...SMH, these clients are the kinds of people who love variety, don't really care how strong they are and only want to look good on a beach, thing is aesthetics follows athletics. How do I get these clients to realize that strength isn't this scary thing reserved for loud grunting powerlifters or anyone else who might set off a lunk alarm (stupidest fucking thing in existence today) but that its a necessary component of fitness for an enjoyable, and healthy long lasting life? its seems like functionality doesn't sell with these people and i feel like i have to write "exercise" programs instead of "training" programs just to keep them from going to a trainer who won't make them do squats with that "scary bar thing" and will babysit them on the leg extension machine..

I'm not a trainer, but some guy at the gym I train at just started doing barbell stuff because I told him to check out Lu Xiaojun. He had just asked me why I bother getting so strong, when I could look even better by doing bodybuilding stuff (this guy is your typical split-routine "get pumped" gym-rat). I proceeded to point out Lu. Long story short, last time I saw him he was squatting and deadlifting.

As a teen who used to be brainwashed by the whole "razor abzz" thing, you need to show them something real and something incredible. I've found that Olympic weightlifters tend to be an impressive bunch...

I don't know how this would work for the females, but that guy I mentioned sure took it to heart...

Edit: Also, I'm the kind of person who likes to know the "why". Some people will follow blindly, but I always like to know the science-y reasoning behind it. Maybe try explaining about strength/general adaptation/etc.? Some people will just get confused (read as: "but squats are bad for my knees"), but others may become interested and be willing to try it.
    Last edited by Trevor45; 02-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Have those people do the big useful lifts and then use like 7-10 minutes getting their heart rate up and making their abs and biceps sore (and glutes for the women). It's a waste of time training-wise but they'll be sore where they like to be and the barbell lifts will give them the results they desire.