starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting with a close stance with a groin injury

Default Squatting with a close stance with a groin injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey mark, you say in SS v2 that "you can squat with a closer stance" if you have a groin injury.

what foot angle/width stance would you recommend for someone squatting with a groin injury? would it be closer than the normal 30 degrees?

also, i normally squat wide stance. you suggest 45 degrees foot angle, but i've always squatted with 30 degrees. do you think this can lead to someone injuring his groin?

i keep re-injuring it, so lately i've thought about if there is a problem with my form. this is the only reason i can think of; otherwise, i think my form is pretty good. i even started squatting a lot deeper like you suggested i did and got more hip drive out of the hole.

thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by FROGGBUSTER View Post
    hey mark, you say in SS v2 that "you can squat with a closer stance" if you have a groin injury.

what foot angle/width stance would you recommend for someone squatting with a groin injury? would it be closer than the normal 30 degrees?
    I'd suggest a more forward angle to match the width, since getting the knees together is what keeps the groin out of the movement.

"also, i normally squat wide stance. you suggest 45 degrees foot angle, but i've always squatted with 30 degrees. do you think this can lead to someone injuring his groin? "

I think it could lead to somebody injuring his knees due to the patellar tracking problems inherent in allowing the knees to twist when the joint is not aligned correctly.

"i keep re-injuring it, so lately i've thought about if there is a problem with my form. this is the only reason i can think of; otherwise, i think my form is pretty good. i even started squatting a lot deeper like you suggested i did and got more hip drive out of the hole."

I think you keep re-injuring it because you never rehabbed it correctly. I have discussed this at length elsewhere on this forum, and I'd suggest that you look this up and give it a try.