Thread: Article: Leg Length Discrepancy and the Shim

Default Article: Leg Length Discrepancy and the Shim

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Do you use a shim?

No. I am perfectly symmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Under no circumstances should you let anybody talk you into a heel lift only. This obviously produces an ankle-angle asymmetry, and is patently foolish since we are, after all, lifting heavy weights, and asymmetry is what we’re trying to correct.
    I was talked into shim years ago and have one in all my shoes. By a chiropractor. It helped significantly with constant back pain...but....

I have all the symptoms of a right hip impingement except the physical boney bits. At least according to x-ray specifically looking for it. It (the pain) gets worse as the weight of my DL goes up. In theory, could it still be the leg length not being correctly fixed causing or exacerbating it?

Don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't know.
    Shit. And here i thought you knew everything.

"A short femur with the pelvis restored to level by a shim under the foot will result in that knee being behind the other knee in the frontal plane, seen from the top. If the shin/ankle angles are to be the same on each side, the shimmed foot will need a staggered stance adjustment – the toe of the short side will be behind the other toe a distance that is the same as the femur discrepancy. This keeps the shim from screwing up the pelvic symmetry we are trying to restore."

Mr. Rip, I have a question regarding this situation i am looking for a little clarity on because I think I am misunderstanding a little bit. I understand that the shim under the foot with a short femur and equal tibia would create a non level knee plane. what I am misunderstanding is the placement of the shimmed foot in order to keep the shin/ankle angles the same. so, when you say stagger are both feet supposed to still be pointed out at the same angle with the shim foot just further back compared to the 'good leg'? that is how I interpret what your saying, just in my brain the only way to make the knee plane level would be for a more acute angle of the tibia in the short femur. I speak of the top plane of the knees if I am being unclear, sorry.

Thanks, Mike

By the "top" plane of the knees I assume you mean the horizontal plane. The shim handles that. I'm referring to the frontal plane when I say that the staggered stance levels the pelvis.

What durometer neoprene rubber do you suggest? I see 50a, 60a, and 70a available on Amazon.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know what "durometer" means.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast