starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: press and chins

Default press and chins

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

Would increasing my vertical pulling strength (weighted chins, pull-ups) help my press? And if so, how?

/Rob from Sweden

Chins and pullups heavily work the triceps, as well as all the other upper body muscles one way or another. The rotator cuff muscles and upper back are stabilizers for pressing, and lockout depends on stability. I actually get pec-sore doing high volume chins. If you cannot chin yourself a respectable number of times, you have a strength imbalance that should be addressed.

What is regarded as a respectable number of chins?

Thanks
    Adam

Well, I can do 16, and I'm 51 and I weigh 210. So you have to beat me or you're a pussy. And if you do beat me, you're probably using drugs.

See what questions like that get you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well, I can do 16, and I'm 51 and I weigh 210. So you have to beat me or you're a pussy. And if you do beat me, you're probably using drugs.

See what questions like that get you?
    LOL!

Mark, this is kind of an off-topic question, but do you ever see yourself giving up the iron? Assuming no injuries are acquired, is there any physical or health reason to not lift weights when one reaches his 70's or older?

Tommy Suggs came in my gym last year, 9 months after two total knees, and squatted 275 x 5. He was 70. And he's stronger now.

I'll train until I cannot train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'll train until I cannot train.
    Great quote. Great thread.

Hi Mark,

What do you mean by total knees? Replacements? What was the cause of the bad knees if you don't mind me asking?

16 consecutive chins is not too shabby at all. I would imagine those are the strict dead hang kind. Do you practice kipping chins/pullups?

Just received your new book. Thanks to you and Lon for writing it!

Total knee replacements are often made necessary by not having sat around on your ass for, in this case, 70 years. They are indicated when the menisci are bad enough that it affects quality of life.

My chin-ups are dead hang, not kipped. I do them kipped when I am using them for met/con, strict when I am using them for upper-body strength.

Thanks for the kind words about the book.

starting strength coach development program
    Mark would you consider volume on chins to be more important than limit strength?

For me the weighted chin/pullup was something I tended to treat as a lift in itself, and still do most of the year.

The trade-off on that is while I've been borderline freaky-strong when it comes to reps in the 1-3 range, I suck when it comes to total volume (be it higher reps or higher accumulated volume in a session). Even when I devote work specifically to it, it just doesn't seem to respond.

For somebody that could crank out a few decent reps in the +90 range at a body weight in the 200-210 range, I could max at maybe 10-12 chins in a set. And that would be the only set.

But I notice this in general when it comes to pulling exercises, be it the barbell row, deadlift, what have you, so I never considered it abnormal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast