starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist pain during power cleans

Default Wrist pain during power cleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hello mark,

when the weight starts to get heavy (for me) i get an electric shock type pain in both or either wrist during power cleans. it happens when the weight passes over my hips. my wrists don't hurt in the rack position. it doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 50% of the time during working weights. it happens with hook grip, normal grip & the fat bar. i have inzer wrist wraps & have put them on with varying degrees of tightness, this seems to help it happen less, but it still happens about half the reps. deadlifts/rack pulls/rdls are no problem & heavier than the pc's. high pulls also shock my wrists (only tried these a handful of times), so something weird is happening to my wrists when the bar passes my hips.

do you have any idea of what is going on & how to fix it?

thanks for your time,
    darrell

Damnedest thing I ever heard of. It is neural, and happening at the peak of the acceleration at second pull, so it might be a neck problem. Does it hurt when you do explosive chins?

I'd change my grip and try some different widths, but if it doesn't improve with that I'd see a chiropractor that you have determined is not a whackjob. Keep me posted about this.

i just tried some explosive chins & no pain at all. chins have never given me a problem. i forgot to mention bentover rows have also given me the shocked wrists in the past. i don't do those anymore.

i also tried a wider grip on the pc's & the shock feeling was both less frequent & less intense. i hope this will help.

i will setup an appointment with the art guy i saw a number of times a few years ago to see if he can help me out....i'll mention the potential neck problem.

thanks for the help.

This is an interesting injury. Keep us posted.