starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength with Fight Training

Default Starting Strength with Fight Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Coach Rippetoe,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read through these posts. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, I train in San Shou (Chinese Kickboxing). I would just like some basic input from you with what I've come up with based on the Starting Strength and Practical Programming principles.

Here is my weekly training breakdown:

3 strength training days (M/W/F)
    2 circuit-type conditioning days (high reps usually from 15-50 on compound and single joint movement...this can vary from 0-2 days per week...it is something that I usually have to do for work, but it falls on T/TH)
    1-3 days of 2-3 mile runs
    Extra Neck Work 1-3 days per week

Here's the strength training template I plan on following:
    warm-up - 5 minutes exercise bike
    strength training -
    A. Back Squat 3 x 5
    B. Bench Press or Press 3 x 5
    C. Pull-up/Chin-up (M/F) 3 x 5-7 or 3 x max or Deadlift/Power Clean (W) 3 x 5
    D1. Lunge with bar in Front Squat Position or 2 x 8-10 or Sit-up 2 x 8-10
    D2. Back Hyperextensions 2 x 8-10 or GHR/Leg Curl 2 x 8-10
    cool-down - 5 minutes stretching

The reason I decided to put in the lunges is because I've found that if I lay off of unilateral leg work I have a hard time with kicks and takedowns. I chose the front squat position because I always feel I work by abs very hard in this position.
    I like doing hyperextensions or hamstring specific work because I had a lower back injury about 10 months ago. I feel that if I don't keep up with extra work in this area I start getting this lower back "detached" feeling.

Once again, thank you for your time. Have a great weekend!

-Antonio

Sounds to me like one helluva lot of work. Only a guy named Testosterton could possibly get recovered.

LOL. Thanks Coach. I assume that means that it might still be too much then! I think I'll just limit my strength training sessions to 4 movements: the squat, a press (bench or standing), and a pull (pull-up variation or DL/PC) supersetted with a trunk movement (sit-up, front squat lunge, GHR, or back extension).

What I planned on doing was reaching the high-end intermediate 1RMs found at the back of the PP book. Would you recommend that once I've reached this goal to maintain my gains with 3 strength training sessions a week or to switch to the 4 strength training sessions following something along the lines of upper/lower split or slow lift/fast lift split?

Thanks again for your time, Coach!

I ordered your third book and am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

-Ton