starting strength gym

Thread: scholarships

Default scholarships

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm in my Jr year of HS I live in Alaska and I want to get out of state I've done a little bit of looking and I can't find many schools that have something like a power lifting or olymic lifting scholarships. I haven't been in any competitions although I've tried to be, things just didn't line up, I know that's where I should start out, but being in Alaska not many people even scout up here for even the common sports. I'd just like to know what steps to take to pursue a scholarship or financial aid in something lifting based. There's no coaches at my school or locally that I can find that will train me I'm almost entirely taught from the internet and by my self, I've been lifting for 4 years 5 days a week minimum, starting strength has been a great help, thank you.

I'm not aware of any scholarship program in the US for either barbell sport. Develop Plan B.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

There's an Olympic lifting club at a local Y here that had a lot of kids on full and half rides to college. They were almost all for wrestling, however--I think the other was for football. The guy who ran the club, who himself was part of the national team way back in the day, joked when I visited that there was a half million dollars in the room of eight kids. Point being, from a scholarship standpoint, lifting can be very helpful to a sport, which can then get you a scholarship, but lifting itself is unlikely to give you a scholarship.

Or you could try to get an academic scholarship...doing your research can pay off big time, because there are a lot of obscure third-party opportunities that often go unclaimed.

Lindenwood University (St. Charles, Missouri, just across the river from St. Louis County) has a weightlifting program and offers scholarships. Fernando Reis (Brazilian superheavy, 5th in the Rio Olympics) came here. Never having competed in a meet might be a problem, but maybe you could submit video. The coach is Ma Jian Ping, a Chinese national first employed by USAW at the Northern Michigan Training Center.

Lindenwood promotes the school through its athletic programs, they compete in something like 47. Some of the top pistol shooters in the country go to school there. Might be worth looking into.

You may want to look into Northern Michigan University. They are a US Olympic education center. You need to go to some meets and put up some official competition numbers.

Weightlifting - General Information | Northern Michigan University Olympic Training Site

Midland University in Nebraska has a powerlifting scholarship. I agree that you need to get to a competition ASAP if you want to pursue this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    Midland University in Nebraska has a powerlifting scholarship. I agree that you need to get to a competition ASAP if you want to pursue this.
    If you were to pursue this route, there is a Starting Strength gym 45 minutes away from Midland. Phil Meggers is an excellent SS coach.

starting strength coach development program
    As for a "plan B". The military is always hiring. It is a structured way to get out of the state. If you go into an MOS with a technical specification, you will earn a paycheck, have a roof over your head and learn a skill that you can market after your time in service. The military also has a lot of very well equipped weight rooms available.