starting strength gym

Thread: PowerBuilding DL Progression

Default PowerBuilding DL Progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy -

My deadlifts have really started to take off since adjusting to the volume in your PowerBuilding template. In fact, I've started doing ascending sets sort of by feel instead of sets across because each time I cycle through, the weight feels way easier than I expected.

For example, my last week of doubles (2 weeks ago) were 375, 385, 418 (hard as balls but I got it)...My best 5RM is 415 (from a long time ago), which I expect to fall very soon.

Then, last night I hit 375 for 5 easily, then decided to add 10 more lbs and hit 385 for 2x5... all time volume PR. The last set of 385 was pretty hard but stayed smooth.

My question is at what point should I stop doing these ascending sets and switch over to either a top set + backoffs or sets across? I'm still conservative with my sets of 8 as they really seem to beat the shit out of me relative to 5s and 2s. I was planning to do 420-430 for doubles next week, but wonder if I should get more aggressive and go for 435-440.

Conservative always wins out over greedy in the long term. Go conservative and make this program last for a while or you will hit a wall early and then be searching for a new program.

If the ascending sets are working keep doing it. I'd say once you have a miss then switch to descending sets or top set + 2 back offs.

Nice job working the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Conservative always wins out over greedy in the long term.
    Word! That's T-shirt material, Andy!