starting strength gym

Thread: March 18th Squat Camp Lansing, MI

Default March 18th Squat Camp Lansing, MI

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New here, first post. Just read SS 3rd edition, and just received "The Barbel Prescription." My garage gym is on its way from Columbus (arrives tomorrow), and I should be able to begin the NP on Sunday.

I was very pleased to see the Squat Camp available in my area so close to the beginning of my training, and discovering simultaneously that there are two SS coaches around an hour away, one of whom trains people over 40 as a specialty.

So who else is going? Anyone from SE Michigan? Any of Dr. Sullivan's regulars?

As an aside, I don't have weightlifting shoes, but do have some new balance barefoot style that fit well. Should I get shoes prior to Camp, and if so any recommendations?

Thanks, and sorry for the hybrid post.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Butter View Post
    Should I get shoes prior to Camp, and if so any recommendations?
    Do get some shoes. If these things get back in stock, they would be fine choices:

http://www.roguefitness.com/dowin-we...es-black-white

If you have a narrowish foot and a few more dollars to spend, there are the Adidas:

http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-a...-gray-metallic

Honestly, the shoe market is in a strange place at the moment. There are lots of strangely flawed models out there while the more generally appealing shoes are being discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Do get some shoes. If these things get back in stock, they would be fine choices:

http://www.roguefitness.com/dowin-we...es-black-white

If you have a narrowish foot and a few more dollars to spend, there are the Adidas:

http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-a...-gray-metallic

Honestly, the shoe market is in a strange place at the moment. There are lots of strangely flawed models out there while the more generally appealing shoes are being discontinued.
    Thanks Tom, I appreciate it.

I second Mr. Campitelli, get the shoes. The Do-Win's will serve you well. If you are going to get serious about training you need proper footwear.

It looks like we have a sold out event. Usually, Sully and I get a lot of returning visitors, but it looks like a lot of fresh faces for this one.

I look forward to meeting you at the camp Peanut Butter. Let me know if any other questions come up beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    If you don't mind me intruding for a second. I never understood why the Adipowers have been getting that rep, but I keep hearing it. I got bricks for feet and the Adipowers fit me well. I know a few people who had to return the Nike Romaleos, because they unfortunately didn't fit mutant feet right. And many got Adipowers, instead.
    If you put the same size Adipowers and Romaleo 2s next to one another, the Adipowers are narrower. For realz. Adidas have always been rather narrowly lasted, at least for their high end lifting shoes. The Nikes are not wide, but they are wider. The Do-Wins used to have a ton of room in the toe box, but that is less so now. The new Reeboks look to win the award for roomy toe boxes for shoes at present.

Default Attended & had a great time

starting strength coach development program
    This was my first SS camp and won't be my last. Sully and Chris are excellent coaches and I think we all learned a lot. The camaraderie of fellow SS athletes was great.

Switching gears, I appreciate the shoe advice. I wore Sabo deadlift shoes and the lack of heels definitely contributed to my "major malfunction."