starting strength gym

Thread: Squat jumps, what do you think about them?

Default Squat jumps, what do you think about them?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hellow Mark,
    I heard that the squat jump is a great excersice for someone who looking to improve his jumping abilty.
    1. What do you think about this excersice? is it so good?
    2. What is better to improve jumping abilty- squats with plyometric workout or squat jumps with plyometric workout?

thanks a lot, and sorry of my bad English!

I need to know specifically what you mean by squat jumps.

When I say "squat jump" I mean when you hold a barbell with weight in your traps, and then squat to a sitting position like you do a regular squat. Instead of go up like a regular squat, you jump with the barbell.
    Like this video:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G84VT4U5gvQ

Can you answer to my questions now?
    thanks a lot again, and sorry of my bad English.

Both weighted and unweighted jumps are quite useful for developing power. The weighted version is superior because of its obvious potential for incremental increase. After all, a squat jump with a 5k bar is still a squat jump that can weigh 7.5k next time, and then 10k after that. The unweighted version is useful in motel rooms as a leg workout when traveling, preferably done on the ground floor.

As far as squat jumps vs squats, both contribute to power production. Heavy squats improve force production, while squat jumps directly train rapid, efficient motor unit recruitment. Leg power is optimally improved by using both.

Rip,

When do you think is a good time to start incorporating this type of exercise? Would a new lifter, say a skinny kid who can't squat bodyweight, get any use out of them or would it be better to just concentrate on elevating basic strength levels to a more advanced point prior to starting this type of training?

Until basic strength has been established, I don't think there is any real reason to worry about any other athletic parameters. In the absence of strength, all other aspects of physical ability suffer, so it must be the most basic consideration for athletic conditioning. It is easily and simply developed, but its very simplicity often works against its acquisition. I'll leave it for you to think about why.

starting strength coach development program
    Got it, thanks!