starting strength gym

Thread: 3 years under the bar

Default 3 years under the bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, I started fatish (5'11" 210 pounds, no muscle development). I remember benching about 95 pounds, deadlifting 135 or so, being afraid to squat. I didn't know much, but I knew that weight loss would be improved by resistance training using simple compound movement programs, and trying to get strong. I started with deadlifts, dumbbell benches, and leg presses. My strength progress was slow, mostly because I was unaware just how fast a novice could add weight to the bar, but my weight loss was fast. After about a year I started squatting and benching. My form continued to suck for about a year before I finally realized it myself from watching youtube videos and started to pay attention. After 2 years or so I was about 165 pounds with a 225x5 squat and 275x5 deadlift. Around this time I became aware of starting strength and realized that my strength numbers were garbage and that I should/could be much stronger very quickly. This was about a year ago. I have still struggled with the idea of gaining weight on purpose, but now I'm about 180 pounds, squats are at 315x5 beltless and I'm pulling in the 400s also beltless. My numbers aren't great and my progress isn't nearly as fast as it could have been, but nonetheless SS principals are pushing me to new levels I've never thought possible. I hope to hit a 405 squat by my 28th birthday (february 2018).

You really should just do the program.

I am now. Will report back.