starting strength gym

Thread: Flexibility

Default Flexibility

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Can you recommend a good resource for improving/maintaining flexibility as it relates to the lifts in Starting Strength. I just ordered the book so I am not sure if it is covered there.

Thank you,

Ken

I make the point in the book that full ROM barbell exercise -- under most circumstances -- provides all the flexibility work you need. The movements themselves increase ROM when done with correct form. There have been hundreds of people I've worked with that could not get below parallel with the empty bar that were down below parallel with perfect low-back position by the time they got up to work set weight. And there are few hamstring stretches more effective than the negative half of a deadlift. For those individuals, such as myself, with specific flexibility issues attributable to age or injury, special stretching is necessary, and lots of info is available about that elsewhere. But most people do not need or benefit from extra stretching, and and the warmup provided by the sets previous to workset weight function very effectively over time to provide sufficient flexibility.