starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing LP???

Default Finishing LP???

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 49-year-old male, a few biographical bullet points:

1. Joined a local commercial chain gym in the midwest just after my 46th birthday

2. Messed around and surfed youtube for guidance.

3. Did deadlifts and squats (though not low bar) for the first time in my life

4. Began a linear progression scheme about the same time.

5. Discovered Stronglifts and learned I shouldn't do multiple sets of deadlifts.

5.5 EDIT: moved to starting strength for form reasons and because 5 sets of 5 every session is insane

6. Eventually got some guidance about squatting, developed more bad habits, and got guidance again.

7. During this time, lost some weight--really hurt my press.

8. But got stronger despite NDTP....

Then, on October 10, 2015, I had an ischemic stroke in my left hemisphere and lost, initially, almost all motor control on my right side (though I never had any serious problems with swallowing and barely any with talking).

9. I made some good recovery during 2.5 weeks with inpatient therapy but I was sent home with a cane.

10. About a month later I walked to the gym without my cane hoping that no one would notice my abnormal gait. I deadlifted 65 pounds and squatted and pressed the bar (I've since learned that wasn't a good idea for the bar. I also practiced walking in front of the mirrors and did some other stuff. But soon I was doing the program. I learned to Press the 2.0 way, and I got more help with the squat.

11. Though I'm not strong yet, I got stronger than I was before the stroke. My max pre-stroke as 265 (with a horribly loose spine). By May (using only 2.5-pound jumps) I had reached 277.5 pounds for 3x5.

12. At some point I noticed my cane in a corner of my room and couldn't remember when I had last used it.

13. My progress stalled when I got a second shift job. I had regained a little bit of weight since the stroke but went down to 185. I didn't have the time for full sessions.

14. I have a new main job now and I'm doing the program except I've put the power clean on hold for now. I hope I have corrected some new problems I had developed and am doing my final slog at linear progression.

15. I've read a bit but I have no idea what exactly a person my age can expect to do with linear progression. I've obviously been at it for far too long.

That's the brief version. I wanted to post it before I went to the gym tonight.

Thanks
    Last edited by slowtwitcher; 02-27-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Your courage and fortitude are an inspiration. You have overcome more than most people must face already in your young life. I will be very interested in following your progress. You would benefit from at least some visits with a certified Starting Strength Coach. I hope you seek one out.

LBB-SQUAT

Warm 45/5, 50/5, 110/5, 160/3, 210/3-belt

Work 260/5/3 work sets always belted

PRESS

Warm 45/5, 50/5, 72.5/3, 92.5/3, 112.5/2-belted

Work 132.5/5/3-belted

(Not sure I counted that middle work set right; maybe I did six; had to be sure.)

Chin 7, 6, 4 (5 minutes apart)

Inspiring story to be sure!

I am entirely unqualified to say this as I'm a late novice right now, but I'd say the novice ---> intermediate progression is more of a...progression, than a switch. As a late novice you start to stall, so you do a couple deloads. Then maybe change the rep scheme (top set and two back off sets). And maybe on Wednesday you do a light day. Then you might add another rest day. And then some triples instead of fives. Before you know it, with all the little mods, your program looks very little like what you started with as a SS novice (maybe more like a HLM program or something).

More basic, if you are progressing session to session, you are a novice. Week to week, intermediate. If you are progressing, don't mess with it.

As an aside, I'd check out the bench press stall thread in the programming forum. It's hella long but there is so much good info in there, it's really worth a read, especially deep into the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitcher View Post
    12. At some point I noticed my cane in a corner of my room and couldn't remember when I had last used it.
    This is tremendously inspiring.

15. I've read a bit but I have no idea what exactly a person my age can expect to do with linear progression. I've obviously been at it for far too long.
    For the time being, if you're still making progress from workout to workout, don't worry about it too much, and enjoy being a novice for as long as it lasts! Given your life circumstances, it's totally reasonable that you've had to reset a few times and that you're still on the novice program.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    I'd say the novice ---> intermediate progression is more of a...progression, than a switch.
    Coalminecanary is dead on about this. I'm also in the middle of the murky progression from novice to intermediate—I've just switched my squat programming to something more intermediate-ish, but the rest of my lifts remain on novice LP. If your experience is anything like mine over the last few weeks, you'll KNOW when it's time. Eventually you'll show up for a session of 3x5 squats and despite technique, food, sleep, and rest periods being on point, you just won't be able to get your reps because you're not fully recovered from the last session. This is when it's time to make some adjustments. If you can get yourself an experienced coach (check startingstrength.org to see if there are any SSCs near you), you'll save yourself some headache during this phase.

Thanks Carson. Boredom helped courage and fortitude along. I have a guy locally who, while not certified, seems to know that lifts and the program. If I can ever scratch some extra money together, I plan to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitcher View Post
    Thanks Carson. Boredom helped courage and fortitude along. I have a guy locally who, while not certified, seems to know that lifts and the program. If I can ever scratch some extra money together, I plan to use him.
    I'd suggest you utilize the technique and ss coach forum for a technique check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan View Post
    For the time being, if you're still making progress from workout to workout, don't worry about it too much, and enjoy being a novice for as long as it lasts!
    I will. It's just hard to tell because I realize I've developed bad habits and so I end up "covering the same ground" so my LP looks more like something else. I got up to squatting 290 but realized my hips weren't low enough. I tried to fix it by driving my knees out better but it was pointed out to me later that I was balancing on my heels and keeping my back to upright. I was only doing a real low bar squat in my mind. So I reset my squat and am keeping my balance over mid-foot. But to make sure I got in the habit, I went back down to 205.

Thus, the title of this thread. I'm hoping I can make it to 300 without needing any more drastic fixes.

I hope you check with a certified Starting Strength coach. I've been at this for over 4 years. I think I understand the system pretty well but I would not pretend to coach someone else.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats 265/5/3

Bench 210/5/3 I've never done this before. Last time I tried I only got four reps.

Dead 295/3 I failed last time with only 3 reps. This time I tried belted but I didn't do any better. I have no idea why. I've pulled over 325 and I don't like regressing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast