starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning lifting

Default Morning lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mark,

I read that doing heavy lifting first thing early in the morning is not the best time because the CNS needs a little time (hour or two) to "wake up". Do you know if there is any truth to this claim?

Have a great week.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that training first thing in the morning is for crazy people. And my CNS takes more than just time to wake it up. But depending on your reason for training, it might behoove you to slap it around a little, especially if job requirements dictate that you are not always able to control the time when you have to use the aforementioned sleepy CNS. Combat personnel, firefighters, LEO, etc., often do not have the luxury of choosing when to exert, and are best prepared for this contingency by doing an occasional workout very early.

"....training first thing in the morning is for crazy people." ? Haaaa...I love it. Mark, I've had two minor shoulder/upper back muscle strains and both times it happened at crow p*ss. I'm a Fire Protection Engineer and like yourself get extremely busy. I have to get my workouts in when I can, but my apprehension to pulling 400lbs off the floor at 6am is now confirmed by the Master. Everyone is different, but it's good to know I at least share something in common with you(certainly not strength)....a sleepy CNS.

Thanks for responding. I hope to attend a BBT cert someday. Do you ever come up to Canada or New England?

I lift early in the morning and the thought of deadlifting heavy weight or doing the Smolov squat routine is the last thing I want to do, but once it is over you are done for the day. All my friends say I am half a bubble off so I guess working out in the mornings suits me just fine.

Once you get over the groggy feeling it is all good. Bite your upper lip and get in there and lift some heavy weights. A lot of people do it.

Corey: I'll bet you a fire extinguisher that you're waaaay stronger than me. We'd like to do a cert in Canada, so if you have any pull with the affiliates up there, let me know.

Link: A lot of people also buy U2 records, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start wearing purple sunglasses. I applaud your nads. Now, run along and have fun doing heavy things at 6am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Corey: I'll bet you a fire extinguisher that you're waaaay stronger than me. We'd like to do a cert in Canada, so if you have any pull with the affiliates up there, let me know.

Link: A lot of people also buy U2 records, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start wearing purple sunglasses. I applaud your nads. Now, run along and have fun doing heavy things at 6am.
    Actually, lifting starts at 5am. My dad always told me to "Rise and Shine". You don't like U2?

I don't like Bono. He needs to train more.

Isn't the reason why you shouldn't lift within 1 hour of getting up because of the spinal synovial fluid issue? This is the first time I've heard about the CNS issue...

just be careful lifting anything heavy that early in the morning, unless you are already up for about 2-3 hours. actually, even being careful didn't help me.

starting strength coach development program
    Tell me about the Spinal Synovial Issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast