starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early stall

Default Early stall

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday was my fourth workout (B) and I struggled on my squats. On the third workout last week the squats started to feel heavy so I anticipated failure, I was close to it but just about made the 3 sets. My form wasn't ideal either.

Since I started I have been increasing the weight 10lbs for the squat, too much perhaps considering I've hit this wall already.

Aside from that, I started feeling a pain on the outside of my knee over the weekend, and on my last set yesterday the pain was there. I might have to miss the squats in the next workout and resume them on Friday, depending on how it feels.

When I resume, should I reset or do the same weight again?

Sounds to me like you are taking too big a jump for your bodyweight, or that you're not getting recovered (maybe not drinking your milk?), or both. There is no possible way to be stuck on the 4th workout unless you have done something wrong.

I'm 126lbs so certainly on the light side of the spectrum!

Like a true idiot I made my knee ten times worse yesterday and I can't even walk on it today. So deadlifts and squats are certainly not an option for a while.

What should I do from here; start over when my knee has recovered? If that is your recommendation should I start much lighter than last time, and increment by half the amount?

On a side note, does pracitical programming complement starting strength? I don't think I've got the knowledge on programming to progress properly.

Thanks.

Rip, as you might suspect, I've answered a lot of questions just like this one. The "something wrong" is usually a case of starting out with too much weight. No one wants to believe me when I tell them that the average male novice in your gym starts squatting at 85 to 105 lbs in your gym.

I've just noticed the subtitle on the practical programming cover

On the topic of milk, I have increased my calorie intake by at least 500 every day based on my BMR. On workout days I get a good pre and post workout meal and I generally eat a lot and regularly.

Dave is probably right. So, how tall are you, how old are you, what did you squat the 4th workout, how many calories are you eating every day, and how much milk do you drink?

I'm 20, 5'10, 126lbs. Was a late developer so have a very young complexion for my age. I get about 2500-3000 calories a day. I have milk several times a day. Diet for a day includes oats, milk, eggs, brown bread / pasta / rice, veg, fruit, chicken, tuna, post workout supp etc. The diet side of things is something I know I'm doing right. I get plenty of sleep too.

I started on 30kg squats (not including the bar which is only a standard, not olympic) and added 5kg each workout until the 4th. The 4th workout I done 42.5kg, I added half the weight due to how 40kg felt in workout 3.

If I started too heavy for squats, I have no doubt I've started too heavy for everything else too. The first set of squats at 30kg felt easy but it got hard very quick.

As a general rule, if you let go of an object and it falls, it weighs something, so we always count the bar. By "standard, not olympic" what do you mean? How much does the bar weigh?

Reading the rest of this, it is apparent to me that your form was bad the first day, that you do not eat 3000 cal/day, that you are not drinking a gallon of whole milk a day, that you do not eat red meat, and that you need to weigh 200 lbs. as soon as possible. Get busy.

By standard I mean 1inch diameter. I'm not sure of it's exact weight but it's around 7.5kg

I can safely say I do eat what I stated, and I get through plenty of milk.

So do you suggest I start again when I'm past my injury, and start low? Whatever you suggest I'll do, and post vids when of some work sets when I get started.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, I do eat red meat. I had minced beef today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast