starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift: resetting/dead weight after each rep

Default Deadlift: resetting/dead weight after each rep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,
    Great book. I'd been following the Mad Cow variant for a few weeks before I got my copy, and it's helped. On my eighth week, have added 10 lbs. of bodyweight and increased all my lifts by at LEAST 15-20 lbs apiece, as well. Thank you.

The deads are getting heavier and I have a question. I am allowing the weight to become "dead" completely between reps, but towards the end of the set (rep 4 or 5, sometimes 3 even), my grip begins to slip. I can usually "reset" my hand position on the bar and get the next rep, but that can take precious second, builds lower back/leg fatigue (staying in the semi squatted position), etc.

My question is this: do you only consider it a full set when you stand over the weight, get in position, lift, lower to dead weight, repeat? Would you still consider it a set if the lifter "reset" to the standing position after every rep?

I just don't want to fool myself by doing a set of 5 when I'm really doing something more akin to 5 singles. Hope this is clear--thanks again.

Are you using chalk?

No. The reason is that I have yet to find a good gym in my town. Most are health clubs that have two power racks/platforms, at the most. I work for a University--I get free access to their "gym", which, after visiting three other gyms in town, is about the same as the others, only I don't give them money. No chalk allowed.

I'm leaving in a month, so it's ok.

Although I understand the "can't grip the weight=body won't lift the weight", would that cause this particular concern? Gripping the weight isn't the problem, but I know that the nervous system is a weird thing and it would make sense. I can get the reps by standing up and resetting after every rep, but am uncertain if these are "valid" reps. Thank you.

Chalk is the fix for this problem. Sorry about your gym situation. So, in consideration of this, it's okay to stop between reps to dry your hands on your pants if that's what you have to do.

But really, there has to be a better training situation.