starting strength gym

Thread: Grip Strength

Post Grip Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mark,

First of all thank you for enlightenning us all. I have been training for six months according to SS programme and I must say I have seen far more results, than from anything I've tried before.

I have a problem with my deadlift though, up till now i have made some nice progress, but i came to a stall. I have tried to lift 290lbs (I know it is not much) for 5 reps but managed only 3, since I simply couldn't hold the barbell. I feel that I can do it if my grip will strengthen. I would have used straps, but honestly it feels like cheating. Can you please recommend me some assistant exercise to improve my grip strength? I would like to get better at the deadlift cause it is my favorite barbell exercise.

Thanks.

Were you using an alternate grip when you failed at the 3rd rep?

Yes i have used an alternate grip. I use the alternate grip for the work-set

Well, it may be time for some grip work. There are lots of tools available for this, but a fat bar is the cheapest and best. Go to a scrap metal dealer and get a 7' piece of 2" cold rolled steel. Buy 2 - 2" set collars and put them on the ends where the plate stops would be on a regular bar sleeve. Train with it.

I'm sorry, but in my case it is not an option, I train in a commercial gym, i don't think they would appreciate me extending their arsenal of barbells. Are there any exercises with regular barbells/dumbells?

starting strength coach development program
    Do you have a place you stay when your not at the gym? Maybe you could keep it there.