starting strength gym

Thread: BrianHunter Training Log

Default BrianHunter Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Height: 179cm
    Weight: 129.6kg (central obesity, well over 20% BF)

Brief bio would be that I am a novice lifter, I have switched over from approximately (with some gaps) 12 months of Olympic Lifting. I was just focusing on technique at the Olympic Lifting, so I switched to this program to work on my strength for a while. So I switched Gyms to one where I can go in the mornings before work.

One aspect I am worried about is the weight. I've upped my eating as per the instructions, keeping it to 3,500cals, but I was 146kg in September 2016, and dropped down to about 125kg just before Christmas. Life happened, and my weight has creeped back up a bit. If I start noticing my weight climbing beyond the low 130's kg then I will probably start having issues in my head, but I'll try to stick to the program the best I can.

I'm two workouts deep into SS LP, and I wanted to start logging to be more mindful about my training, so here we go.

Workout 2016-03-01

Weight: 129.1
    Calories (previous day): 3,042 (C: 310g, P: 207g, F: 102g)

Squat: 70kg 3x5
    Press: 40kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 80kg 1x5

I wasn't too sure how to judge the weights, so I just picked a number really. Felt happy with the workout, familiar with all the exercises, wasn't really taxing, but I am aware it soon will be. Done Press 1.0, but have since discovered Press 2.0 so will try that from here on out.

Workout 2017-03-03

Weight: 129.6
    Calories (previous day): 3,492 (C: 320g, P: 221g, F: 149g)

Squat: 75kg 3x5
    Bench: 45kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 85kg 1x5

Happy today. It's been a decade since I benched, and even then I done it maybe 10 times. Lucky it was with some powerlifters, so they taught me about planting the feet, getting the chest up ect. I watched the bench video's that Rip has up to remind myself of what I should be focusing on, and the weight felt OK. Bar speed was fine, but I stopped at 45kg as there was a small amount of lateral movement, so I need to either develop those stabilisation muscles, or just improve technique. Probably both.

Rest of the lifts felt fine. I use the hook grip for deadlifting, and do suspect that grip maybe will be an issue, but we will see. I'll purchase some chalk to aid the grip.
    Last edited by brianhunter; 03-03-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Subscribed!

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your training. Like yourself I just picked some conservative numbers when starting SS LP and took it from there.

Check out the nutrition forums & Jordan's articles for ideas, there's good stuff there for advice on adjusting your macros for re-composition so that your gainzZz don't suffer while you steadily drop the kgs.

And definitely purchase chalk asap.