starting strength gym

Thread: Ramping sets vs. Sets across for non-linear progression

Default Ramping sets vs. Sets across for non-linear progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have seen a post about ramping sets vs. sets across, but I could not find information that would help me in my program.

I am currently running an RTS style program. On my volume day for squats, I usually do a 5x5 keeping the weight on the bar the same + or - 5kg. After reading some of the competitive logs in this forum, I have noticed some lifters lift with sets across and some lifters choose to ramp their sets up. I am thinking about trying the ramped up sets, but would like to know ow it compares to sets across first.

Let's say one lifter squats an average weight of 180kg for a ramped up 5x5, and an other lifter lifts 180kg for sets across. Will one lifter have any strength or recovery benefits over the other lifter?

Some people like to use ramping sets when they come back from a layoff, or if they're under recovered. If you're running an RTS-style program, I don't think ramping or sets across apply much to you if you're using RPE.

If you saw ramping sets used in someone's competitive log, look at their history and see how/why they got there and what the context of it is. Or just ask them.

Probably minimal difference until you're quite advanced...at which point things are probably hyper-periodized & tailored.

I was just wondering because I've seen Austin Baraki do it for his RTS style program. You can see it in the first couple pages right off the bat, he increases weight per set, hits a desired rpe value (top set) and sometimes drops the weight to get more volume in. But yeah, I will ask him and see what he's got to say.

Austin's Log

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Probably minimal difference until you're quite advanced...at which point things are probably hyper-periodized & tailored.
    It's good to know that it is similar. Thanks John. I'll try incorporating it into my program next cycle. 5x5 sets across are just mentally taxing at times

Quote Originally Posted by koreansavage View Post
    I was just wondering because I've seen Austin Baraki do it for his RTS style program. You can see it in the first couple pages right off the bat, he increases weight per set, hits a desired rpe value (top set) and sometimes drops the weight to get more volume in. But yeah, I will ask him and see what he's got to say.

Austin's Log
    RTS style training is based largely on what you can do that day, so the ramping up to a weight is simply finding the top weight for that day. The drop sets are then used once you hit a certain RPE with that weight. How many weight drops you make are based on how much volume you are aiming for base on a bunch of other factors.

Jordan has a good article that explains how an intermediate program using RTS might look here: General Strength Training Template for the Intermediate/Advanced | Barbell Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Jordan has a good article that explains how an intermediate program using RTS might look here: General Strength Training Template for the Intermediate/Advanced | Barbell Medicine
    That's a great article that really breaks it down. Did the follow up articles ever happen? I can't seem to find them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    That's a great article that really breaks it down. Did the follow up articles ever happen? I can't seem to find them.
    Nope.