starting strength gym

Thread: Failed last squat rep on SSLP, what next?

Default Failed last squat rep on SSLP, what next?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm doing SSLP (just finished week #7), using TBAB macros to put on 1lb a week (currently 184lb, age 30, 6'1"), recently switched to taking a light squat day in the middle of the week. I got a head cold 4 days ago, and have been sleeping horribly because of it (5 hours of broken sleep a night, instead of 8 hours of good sleep).

Loaded the bar to 285 for my squat today, and the first and second sets were great. Good bar speed, no grind. Took almost 10 minutes of rest after the second set, and had to slowly grind out reps 2,3 and 4. I had to drop the bar on rep 5 because I got stuck at the bottom. Felt lightheaded and almost puked afterwards. Lower back feels Kentucky deep fried now.

So, my next session is Tuesday. Should I repeated today's session, or take a light day and repeat today's session Thursday next week? Or is this an appropriate time for a small deload? I anticipate my sleep getting better the next couple nights since colds typically last 6 days.

Thanks!

Sounds like your cold and shitty sleep caused you to miss the weights. Poor recovery. I'd just repeat the weight again Tuesday. Who knows, your warmups might feel so good on Tuesday that you can take the next 5-pound jump up to 290 without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Sounds like your cold and shitty sleep caused you to miss the weights. Poor recovery. I'd just repeat the weight again Tuesday. Who knows, your warmups might feel so good on Tuesday that you can take the next 5-pound jump up to 290 without any problems.
    Sounds reasonable. Thanks

I decided to bump the weight up and go for 290 3x5 today. Had to give the last set 105%, and got it done. Last 2 reps were probably an inch high, but oh well. Glad I didn't reset!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I decided to bump the weight up and go for 290 3x5 today. Had to give the last set 105%, and got it done. Last 2 reps were probably an inch high, but oh well. Glad I didn't reset!
    Good job. Do you record your lifts so that you have some other measure of knowing whether you're squatting high?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Good job. Do you record your lifts so that you have some other measure of knowing whether you're squatting high?
    I have a hard time getting a good recording in my small garage. I place a 5 gallon bucket behind me with a car-cleaning sponge on top of that. If I just touch it at the bottom I've gone below parallel. Otherwise I can typically gauge about how high I am off of it. I need to see Austin Baraki sometime because I don't think I'm really utilizing a stretch-reflex at the bottom unless I'm using lighter weights.