Thread: Kasper's second LP run after torn meniscus

Default Kasper's second LP run after torn meniscus

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys. I'm Kasper from Norway

Weight: 200lb, 90kg
    Height: 181cm, 5'11

I have been lifting on and off since 2012, but I have had several breaks in my training without any clear reason or explanation why. I tried SS in the start of my lifting career but started doing 531 way to early because I didn't have a clue and thought I was done with my linear progression. I then had a 245 squat.

I have since bought both Starting Strength and Practical Programming, and am now returning to lifting after I torn my meniscus in june 2016. I couldn't squat or deadlift until january this year. Right before I hurt my knee I squatted 145kgx5x3 (320lb), deadlifted 150kgx5 (330lb), benched 85kgx5x3 (187lb), and pressed 52,5kgx5x3 (115lb).

I started again in the end of january this year with 40kg on the squat and increased slowly from there to see how my knee was feeling. I have done 5kg increments in the squat so far and this is how last week looked:

Squat 95kgx5x3
    Bench 75kgx5x3
    Press 45kgx5x3
    Deadlift 110kgx5
    Power Cleans 40kgx3x5

I will post updates here after each workout and hopefully get som good advice from you guys on this board that are also on your LP's. Hope to hear from you.

Cheers
    Last edited by snowmouse; 03-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Todays workout:

Squat 100kgx5x3
    Bench 77,5kgx5x3
    PC 42,5kgx3x5

Squat felt good, think I can manage a couple 5kg increments before going to 2,5kg. PC needs a bit of refinement but it's ok now at lower weights.

Welcome to the community, snowmouse! There is another guy from Norway here - check out his log “A path is made by walking on it.” Jan's log

I started SS after meniscus surgery in 2014 and my knees have not been in better shape in a long time. Make sure your form is spot on to keep those menisci in shape. I'm not aware of SSC in Scandinavia, but online coaching could be a good option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome to the community, snowmouse! There is another guy from Norway here - check out his log “A path is made by walking on it.” Jan's log

I started SS after meniscus surgery in 2014 and my knees have not been in better shape in a long time. Make sure your form is spot on to keep those menisci in shape. I'm not aware of SSC in Scandinavia, but online coaching could be a good option for you.
    Thank you peez. Did you have a long recovery time? And do you have a log over here? As far as I know there are no SSC in scandinavia no, and I'm thinking about online coaching once I get into the intermediate phase.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmouse View Post
    Thank you peez. Did you have a long recovery time? And do you have a log over here? As far as I know there are no SSC in scandinavia no, and I'm thinking about online coaching once I get into the intermediate phase.
    Yes, I'm right here: Log

I've had an ACL replacement in the left knee 30 years ago, and meniscus cleanup three years ago. Both knee's ACL's are loose again - as in basically non-functional, but I'm avoiding another surgery for now.
    Skiing was getting very painful, and sometimes walking - so I decided to have the meniscus cleaned up and started SS. The latter probably helped more than former in stabilizing the knees.

As for coaching, esp. with knee issues, I would highly recommend getting some as early so bad habits don't creep in. Once you are in intermediate la-la land, coaching might be less urgent - valuable still, but maybe less so. Form checks on this forum are free and very useful BTW if you post video of your workouts.

In addition to DTFP, look at nutrition and adequate recovery. Plenty of info around here. You'll be one bad-ass Viking if you stick with the program(s) over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Yes, I'm right here: Log

I've had an ACL replacement in the left knee 30 years ago, and meniscus cleanup three years ago. Both knee's ACL's are loose again - as in basically non-functional, but I'm avoiding another surgery for now.
    Skiing was getting very painful, and sometimes walking - so I decided to have the meniscus cleaned up and started SS. The latter probably helped more than former in stabilizing the knees.

As for coaching, esp. with knee issues, I would highly recommend getting some as early so bad habits don't creep in. Once you are in intermediate la-la land, coaching might be less urgent - valuable still, but maybe less so. Form checks on this forum are free and very useful BTW if you post video of your workouts.

In addition to DTFP, look at nutrition and adequate recovery. Plenty of info around here. You'll be one bad-ass Viking if you stick with the program(s) over the long haul.

You have a great press sir! Sounds like you have had your issues with your knees. Are you having any problems while squatting heavy? I do believe you when you say that getting stronger will help in stabilizing them.

Thank you for your good advice. I'm looking to do some slow weight gain in the coming months as I increase my lifts, and I'm definately going to stick to the program. I will post a video of my squat later today. Do you know how I can get notifications when someone writes in my log etc.?

Todays workout:

Squat: 102,5kgx5x3
    Press: 47,5kgx5x3

Didn't have the time to do my deadlifts. Will do them on friday. Everything felt nice and easy today.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmouse View Post
    You have a great press sir! Sounds like you have had your issues with your knees. Are you having any problems while squatting heavy? I do believe you when you say that getting stronger will help in stabilizing them.
    Thank you for your good advice. I'm looking to do some slow weight gain in the coming months as I increase my lifts, and I'm definately going to stick to the program. I will post a video of my squat later today. Do you know how I can get notifications when someone writes in my log etc.?
    Thank you - no, I'm not having any issues while squatting heavy; actually, after squatting, my knees usually feel better. You may want to try neoprene knee sleeves (e.g. rehband brand) for extra compression and comfort. My doctor told me now it's only muscles holding my knees together and I think he is right. As for notifications, the tapatalk app works with this forum and it will inform you when someone quotes your posts. Good luck and happy squatting!

Here is a video of my last set of five from todays workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Todays workout:

Squats 105kgx5x3
    Bench 80kgx5x3
    Deadlift 112,5kgx5

Squats felt really good. I widened my stance a bit. Could have jumped up 5kg but I decided to take it easy. Bench feels good. Starting to slow down, going for 1kg increments next session. Deadlift feels heavy. I don't know why. I think my set up is in check. Went to mcdonalds afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast