starting strength gym

Thread: How to gauge increases

Default How to gauge increases

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

I have been doing the Starting Strength workout for the past few months. I initially started with my squat at 135 for my sets across and went up (5-10 lbs.) very conservatively as I had no power rack. I lift alone in my basement and bought a power rack 4 weeks ago. I took a few weeks off and recently started back and am in week #4, having started back when I got the rack.

Yesterday for my squat I got 245x5x3, but the last 2 reps on the 3rd set were very difficult. I can't see my own form, but feel that it may be breaking down at the end of the last set. My chest and hip rise early in the set happens at the same speed but towards the last 2 reps my hips raise, then my chest sort of catches up as I think the cue "chest up."

If a weight felt particularly hard should I stick with it for another workout or add weight until I can't get all 3 sets of 5 reps? My standard has been if it was particularly tough or I felt shaky then I would stay with that weight for one more workout.

Just wanted to try to follow the program correctly. I have the 2nd edition of the book and it is the most descriptive and helpful weightlifting book that I have seen yet. I am self-coached (kind of like representing yourself in court...fool for a client) but I'm not competing, just lifting for general strength and fitness. I would also like to lose some bodyfat, but strength is my main goal at this time.

If it helps my personal stats:

29 years old
    6' 238 lbs. 23% bodyfat
    Lifts (in basement):
    Squat 245x5x3
    Deadlift 360x5x1
    Bench Press 185x5x3
    Press 130x5x3
    Power Clean 170x5x3

I follow the workouts with Chins (BWx5x3) after the press workout and Dips (BWx6x3) after the deadlift workout.

I drink 2 gallons of milk/week, take a protein supplement (shake) after working out and try to eat as clean as possible, chicken, fish, steak, veggies. Diet is a struggle for me, having junk food far more than I should.

I do occasionally add in a Crossfit MetCon workout or Row on my C2 2x week depending on how I feel. It's sometimes difficult to get enough sleep with my scehdule as a full time LEO.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Eric

Sounds like you're on track, but in need of some external eyes for your form. I'd stay another workout at a weight that seemed heavy enough to erode your form and go up the next workout. If this happens again soon, it may be time for smaller jumps.