starting strength gym

Thread: HLM- Heavy day Bench Press question

Default HLM- Heavy day Bench Press question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy,

My heavy day Bench Press moved from 3 sets of 5 to 3 sets of 3. What would be the next logical modification once the 3 x 3 scheme runs out its utility?

You need enough volume and intensity on the heavy day bench to drive adaptation. Lots of options. You can set up a 3-week rotation of higher to lower volume / lower intensity to higher intensity like:

5x5 - 5x3 - 5x1

Or something where you have a single top set in the 1-3 range followed by some back offs for volume at like 3x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    You need enough volume and intensity on the heavy day bench to drive adaptation. Lots of options. You can set up a 3-week rotation of higher to lower volume / lower intensity to higher intensity like:

5x5 - 5x3 - 5x1

Or something where you have a single top set in the 1-3 range followed by some back offs for volume at like 3x5.
    I prefer the scheme with a single top set of 1-3 reps with back-off sets. Any suggestions about the percentages of the back-off sets w.r.t. the main sets? I know you don't believe in percentages but and rough suggestion for a starting point would be helpful.

A general HLM question. Is the heavy day is responsible for both volume (to drive adaptation) and intensity (to set PRs)?

I believe in % when they are relevant. So if you just did a max effort single, then 90% will predictably yield 2-4 reps 5-10 minutes later. But the single you did 6 months ago doesn't mean anything when using % based programming.

If you do this it would work:

5RM + 3x5@ 5-10% reduction

3RM + 3x3 @ 5-10% reduction

1RM + 2x2 @ 5-10% reduction