starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Bar Position for Squats

Default High Bar Position for Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was wondering how less beneficial it would be to have the bar on your traps (right below the neck) for squats as compared to a lower bar position? I feel I'm more comfortable with a high bar position. However, if it NEEDS to be changed for the benefit of my body, I'll go ahead and lower the bar position.

There is an extensive discussion of this in BBT (pp 221-227). A low bar position dramatically increases hip drive and hamstring involvement in the movement, and allows a greater weight to be used and adapted to. This is why we treat the high bar variant as an assistance exercise, except in those who are limited by shoulder flexibility or injury problems which prevent a low bar squat from being used as their primary strength building exercise.

Mark, what are you reffering to as a low bar and high bar position? I tend to use what I think is high because that is the spot in which the bar feels weightless.

The high-bar position is at the top of the traps, and the low bar position is just under the spine of the scapulas, on top of the posterior delts in contraction with the elbows up. If the bar feels weightless on top of your traps, check to be sure you have added weights.

Haha, I have done up to 363 lbs atg and it felt like nothing on my back, but like a bit on my legs. I guess Ill keep using it that way.

Thanks for the feedback. I have SS but I'm still having trouble finding out where the bar is supposed to be on the back.

Page 33 of SS 2nd Edition: The picture on the right is similar to my own bar position, so I'm a bit confused as to the position.

The picture on the right is the correct position, so I don't understand your confusion. It goes right below the bone on your shoulder, on top of the posterior delt when contracted with the elbows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The picture on the right is the correct position, so I don't understand your confusion. It goes right below the bone on your shoulder, on top of the posterior delt when contracted with the elbows up.
    I guess there is no way to know the exact position without face-to-face instruction. I'll try sliding the bar down 2 inches from my traps and see how that feels.

I think the position I described is fairly exact. Pray tell how I could be more precise.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think the position I described is fairly exact. Pray tell how I could be more precise.
    You can't be more precise. It's my fault that I hate learning lifts via the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast