starting strength gym

Thread: How can I fix an uneven bench press?

Default How can I fix an uneven bench press?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I've just begun a Starting Strength regimen.

Last night, I noticed that my bench press was a little uneven; the right side of the bar was rising about two-three inches or so higher than the left. I was lifting 135 pounds for three work sets of five reps. (Additional data: I'm male, 36 years old, 5'9 and I weigh 210.)

I understand that this is a fairly common problem among beginners but I'd like to fix it and have an even, level bench press. I'd like the right side and left side to work in tandem with each other to get that bar to the ceiling but right now they're not being terribly cooperative.

What sorts of techniques could I use to overcome this imbalance?

Many thanks in advance.

Since you've just started, it is not uncommon to see strength imbalances at this stage of training. Concentrate on an even extension and the weaker side will receive more work relative to the strong side, thus correcting the problem soon. No assistance work is necessary, or recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Concentrate on an even extension and the weaker side will receive more work relative to the strong side, thus correcting the problem soon. No assistance work is necessary, or recommended.

That's good to hear. OK. I'll focus on even extension when I'm doing that lift.

Thanks, Coach!